Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which primer to get for Crim Law?  (Read 1292 times)

goldilox741

• View Profile
Which primer to get for Crim Law?
« on: July 29, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »
So PLS2 recommends Delaney's "Criminal Law Applied: Arguments, Exams, and Answers." Well, it doesn't exist. He has another book about criminal law that is probably what Falcon is referring to (I am assuming the publication title changed after Falcon's book went to press).

So I'm wondering, for those of you who have used primers (or have decided which to buy), did you go with Delaney's, or with E&E (by Singer & La Fond) or someone else's? This is specifically only a question about the primer for Crim Law.

I should note that I'm not going to read them in advance, I just want to go ahead and get these for when classes start in a few weeks. Basically I'm just wondering what the best primer for crim law is.

Thanks!

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Which primer to get for Crim Law?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 05:59:20 PM »
I've heard wonderful things about Understanding Criminal Law by Dressler.  I think Lexis is the publisher.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 06:22:06 PM »
Understanding Criminal Law by Dressler is fantastic.  I used it last year, and it was one of the best supplements I used all year.  It's easy to read, and really helps clarify things.

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 08:02:17 PM »
the Understanding series are good.  The understanding future interests saved my life

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 08:55:45 PM »
I have to agree with everyone else--Dressler was required for my crim class. 

goldilox741

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 09:07:14 PM »
That's interesting. I haven't heard anything about this author or series. I've read through PLS2 (Planet Law School II) and LSC (Law School Confidential), as well as browsed other message boards but that one was not recommended...but I def believe you guys, as you are actual people who have just gone through this process and not just a book. So the consensus is that Dressler is better than the E&E primer for Crim Law?

Did you all think the Understanding series is better in other first-year courses besides Crim Law as well? For Torts, Contracts, and Property I've bought the E&Es. Good idea or should I have chosen otherwise?

Thanks again!

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 09:23:44 PM »
It all depends on the particular author; every book in the Understanding series is different, and some volumes are better than others.  Dressler's book (from all I've heard; never personally used it) is supposed to be very good, but that doesn't necessarily mean that every volume in the Understanding series is equally helpful. 

I also get the impression that Prof. Dressler is a pretty big name when it comes to criminal law, just from glancing at the references in my casebook on a couple occassions.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

goldilox741

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 09:38:30 PM »
Okay, thanks. If anyone else reads this and has differing advice on which primer to get (i.e., not Dressler), please post, as I'd be curious to know.

Thanks again!

hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 10:57:16 PM »

My professor recommended a hornbook entitled, Principles of Criminal Law (au: Wayne Lafave).  I thought it was terrific. 

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 10:27:29 PM »
E and E by FAR. I used that almost exclusively for my crim law class and it was nearly verbatim what my professor was saying. And he had never read it (he told me). I booked the class. I also read some of the Understanding Crim Law but found the E and E for Crim the absolute best thing in the world. It was my bible.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality