Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Central Market  (Read 1369 times)

jess427m

• View Profile
Central Market
« on: July 28, 2006, 03:40:49 PM »
I've heard that Central Market is like a foodie's Heaven.

Anyone in Austin been there/recommend it? I love grocery shopping and our fridge is getting low so I thought I'd check it out. I saw on their website that there were two Austin locations: in your opinion is one better than the other?

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
Re: Central Market
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 03:57:53 PM »
I can't cook to save my life.

Accepting applications for surrogate parents.

edit: and/or girlfriend proficient in the culinary arts.
Carlos Cadena Society

Heresy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 04:05:11 PM »
Whole Foods makes the most amazing sandwiches in the world. Not that I'm given to hyperbole, or anything.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »
I go to HEB.  It is a wonderful store that has cheap prices.  I like their MaMa Mia's frozen pizzas.  They're nice large pizzas as 2 for $4.  I think food is to be eaten, and should be inexpensive.  As such I have never set foot inside a Central Market or Whole Foods, even though they have one near to the Best Buy.  I do try my hardest not to accidentally run over the hippies as they cross the parking lot.  I'd have a better success rate if they'd stop darting in front of me from behind parked cars.   ;D

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 05:53:52 PM »
I think food is to be eaten, and should be inexpensive. 

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, allow me to present Exhibit A of the statement "Non-foodies probably won't get it, but..."

;)

Hey.  Just because some of us think Hostess and Little Debbie snack cakes are the height of food culture...

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 06:01:22 PM »
Anyone in Austin been there/recommend it?

Is the sky blue?  Pope Catholic?  Etc.?

To put it in perspective for you, CM kicks Wegman's ass - in certain ways. 

You are speaking my language! I've been looking for a store that is similar in quality to the HUGE Wegman's in Dewitt (not sure when the last you were in CNY, but it's been there for a while). This seems to be it! I'm definitely going to check it out later.

We tried whole foods but I didn't care for the produce or cheeses and there are some things that you just can't get at Whole Foods that are staple items in our house (I'll admit I have a sugary cereal addiction, Cocoa Puffs are like crack to me).

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 08:55:24 AM »
Thanks everyone. I went to Central Market and fell in love with it immdediately. It is now my new shopping destination for most items. Like you said there were some items they didn't have but I can just go to the HEB around the corner for them.

fuisse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 04:52:44 PM »
Jess--Don't commit until you've tried the flagship Whole Foods.  Just sayin. ;D

Try anything?

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 02:58:55 PM »
Jess--Don't commit until you've tried the flagship Whole Foods.  Just sayin. ;D

I'm trying the flagship Whole Foods for this week's shopping excursion to see how it compares.