Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who else is attending a school that just dropped below the USNWR top 100?  (Read 758 times)

NorthEast_1L

• www.jimwilsonlawblog.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
I am an incoming 1L at Syracuse this year.  I was disturbed to see the USNWR drop it out of the top 100.  Are there any incoming Syracuse, UNLV, Marquette, Catholic, etc, incoming 1Ls who are in the same boat?  Or more importantly, does it really matter in the long haul?
Jim

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I will be a 2L at syracuse and I will tell you most of the 1L's were upset when this drop happened. People went sorta nuts talking about it and others coudldn't stand to hear about it.. many more declared they were transferring.  However, supposedly the 3Ls and other alumni and profs say it doesn't matter in the long run, but I don't know.  We teeter back and forth.  It was disapointing though and like I said i'm a little too early in the procsess to know if it matters.I was not happpy when that drop happened so..I feel for you... we all do!
I love my philly phanatic :)

NorthEast_1L

• www.jimwilsonlawblog.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
Thanks for your perspective.  How was your first year there?  Do you have any recommendations for an incoming 1L?  I am planning on trying to enroll in the joint Masters of International Relations program at the Maxwell School, as well.  How difficult is it to jointly enroll in both? 
Jim

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
At that level, the drop in national rankings isn't that big of a deal, because Syracuse hasn't fallen in the rankings/hierarchy for its relevant region.  From my experience at my school, the only effect you will see is that it will jump start the alumni and the administration to try to right the ship, so it may ba a good thing for 1Ls and 0Ls. 

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hi NorthEast_1L -
Everyone has a different experience, but I'll be truthful with you.  There are some things I like about Syracuse, some I do not.  I really enjoyed my first semester.  I had great professors and learned a lot. That semester I got sick and had to be hospitalzied (long story) and the professors and dean of students were absolutely great about it and SO helpful for the classes I missed.  The second semester, I did not have as positive an experience. The professor my section had were terrible. However, this was just the luck of the draw.   As at every school, there are some good ones and some bad ones.  Also, I found the 2l's and 3l's very helpful and willing to give outlines and advice about profs which I found useful.  The other thing I might mention is that our class is known as the class of "overacheivers" that for some reason compared to the 2L's and 3L's and past classes we had more students applying to  things (ie. journals, moot court, jobs).. which created tougher competitoin among ourselves.  I suspect that your class will even be more competitive among each other which can only help in the rankings... but that's just a humble soon to be 2L's opinion.:)
As far as the IR joint program, it is pretty flexible with the law school as it is the program that most joint masters students do. I already have a masters degree, so I don't know much about it because I was not interested, but I do know I have some friends who are doing it.  They had to take classes such as Professional REsponsibility this summer to fit in some masters classes next year.. but overall I hear it's pretty doable and being at the law school helps with admission. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
I love my philly phanatic :)