Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law school & pets  (Read 865 times)

mecarr

law school & pets
« on: July 27, 2006, 12:50:44 AM »
I'm starting law school in August. For those who are in law school or have graduated, would you discourage people from getting a dog their first year? May seem like a silly question but if I never have time to spend with it then I'd just assume wait until later. Then again, it'd be a nice way to spend whatever free time i have.

tired3L

• View Profile
Re: law school & pets
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 02:15:32 AM »
No time for a dog.  If you get a pet, get a cat.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 07:02:46 AM »
I'd say do not get a dog, unless you're living with an SO or a roommate that will share in the responsibility.  My SO and I got a puppy right before second semester started.  He had to do a lot of the work like taking the dog to the park on days when I had too much reading to do, taking him outside, etc.  Even during the day after class when I'd be at home trying to study, the puppy would cry or whine at my feet because he wanted attention.

It worked out, and with help, it was doable, but I know that if I was alone, I never would have been able to handle training, walking, playing, etc. If you do decide to get a dog, try to adopt an older dog, and preferably one who has had some training.  If you don't think you'll have time to properly train the dog, then you're doing the dog and yourself a disservice.  Also, if you're on a limited budget, adoption fees and vet bills add up very, very quickly.

A cat (or 2) is a much better option, because they're much more independent.

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 08:33:03 AM »
we cant take our dog with us because student housing (all we can afford) wont take pets.  he's been with us 10 years, and i dont know what we're going to do.

do not get a dog until you settle down in your first job.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 01:13:39 PM »
You should wait until the summer after your first year at least. Puppies need to be trained and house-broken. Without the time to train it, youíll be miserable b/c the puppy doesnít do what you want it to do. The puppy will be miserable b/c itís being scolded for something that it doesnít know was wrong. Plus, itíll act out since you never play w/ it.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 02:18:13 PM »
Dogs sxaz anyway.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

pappahood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 03:16:03 PM »
definitely don't get a puppy.  i had a cat during my 1L, she slept in a nice little basket that had a cozy blanket in it while i studied till 3am.  damn, i hate her.