Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship Letters?  (Read 3749 times)

Heresy

• View Profile
Scholarship Letters?
« on: July 26, 2006, 04:16:26 PM »
Wondering if anyone has received their scholarship letter, complete with instructions. Thanks in advance.

Heresy

• View Profile
Re: Scholarship Letters?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 04:32:43 PM »
Excellent. I live in Houston, and I was wondering if perhaps the mailman had fallen into a pit or bayou or the abyss with all of the left socks.

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 05:07:01 PM »
I was wondering the same thing... Linda, WTF? ;)

I was more curious why I didn't get a scholarship.

Did you have to apply for them?

Linda, WTF?
Carlos Cadena Society

margee

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 05:14:17 PM »
 :D :D :D

vonnie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 05:37:26 PM »
I have yet to receive my scholarship letter and live in Austin.  Why is it taking so long?  I thought they were mailed out on Friday.  ???

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 06:36:49 PM »
However, if anybody has pointers (for example, if you happen to have a family friend who endowed a scholarship and may have mentioned something) please feel free to share.

We had to do similar letters at my undergrad school and the example they provided to us (apparently some 18-21 year olds have never written a thank you note in their lives) suggested that we thank the person for their support of the scholarship being sure to use the foundation's name, tell a little bit about ourselves and what the scholarship meant to us. I usually just wrote that support is a major factor in educational success and that endowments/scholarship opportunities give an extra level of support that encouraged me to work as hard as I could while reinforcing the appreciation for the work I had already done.

Hope this helps.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »
Maybe you could suggest to them that they be philanthropic with me as well.  Tell them I'll send them a Christmas card if they do.  :)

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 07:52:30 PM »
Maybe you could suggest to them that they be philanthropic with me as well.  Tell them I'll send them a Christmas card if they do.  :)

Tell them they can feel free to send a little bit of that extra philanthropy my way as well. I'm sure my student loan balances will appreciate it.

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 09:32:47 AM »
Tell them they can feel free to send a little bit of that extra philanthropy my way as well. I'm sure my student loan balances will appreciate it.

SU thinks quite highly of itself when it comes to tuition, doesn't it?  They're only a couple grand cheaper than Princeton, Yale, etc., though I imagine cheaper room and board helps.  Hopefully you found your experience worthwhile for the money.

As for the original topic, I got my letter today as well.  Oddly, there doesn't seem to be a donor associated with my award - I'm just supposed to address the letter to Dean Sager.  I was actually sort of looking forward to corresponding with an outside sponsor.

You've got that right: SU does think extremely highly of itself. Last year's total for tuition, room & board was $41,500 and they don't believe in scholarships that pay room & board (there are three for 12,000 students). This year it's going up to $45,000.  I was one of the lucky ones who received a full tuition scholarship but I still have student loans for room/board and am not really looking forward to adding about an extra $100,000 for UT, although it is worth it.

Cheaper room & board at SU is kind of a fallacy. If you live on campus they charge you ridiculous rates for crappy living. When I lived off campus the last two years my roommate & I paid $1000/mth for a small 2 bedroom apt. There are cheaper places (like in any city/town) but they are either not safe or far from the school and driving to class is not an option there unless you want to park your car in a lot that is 3 miles from the campus and then ride a shuttle that is not reliable.

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 11:05:25 AM »
I was wondering if you were talking about Syracuse or where. :D  Good old Orangemen.

Are you straight from ugrad Jess or where'd you live after SU?

Brave: I came here straight from undergrad about two weeks after graduation. Except they're not called Orangemen anymore  :( The university decided it was too sexist to differentiate between OrangeMen and OrangeWomen so they just started calling it Orange. Most of the students thought it was a bad idea.

TonyP: You're correct. If you know Syracuse (as it sounds like you do) the Comstock/Euclid Ave areas are really close to campus but ridiculously overpriced. Three leasing companies own pretty much all of the houses/complexes there and they make a killing. It's practically guaranteed income. You pay totally for the proximity to the campus (I could walk to class in less than 3 minutes) and the campus bars (5-10 minute walk depending on level of intoxication). Unfortunately, when the windchill is 20 below zero you are too cold to care about how much you have to pay as long as you don't have to stay outside for more than a few minutes at a time.

In many nicer parts of the city that are further away $1000 a month is pretty much equivalent to the mortgage for a 4 bedroom/2.5 bathroom house. My freshman roommate's parents actually realized that fact and instead of paying rent bought a house that she could live in and charged a few of her friends rent to stay there as well.