Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going to Law School Part Time while working Full Time???  (Read 6368 times)

2LRutgers

• View Profile
Going to Law School Part Time while working Full Time???
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:38:09 AM »
hey guys,

for anyone who's gone through this: would you please share what your schedule is like? and how feasible this is?  I'm going to go part time this fall and work full time, and I'm really afraid.  Since this is my first semester doing this, I'm taking the minimum of only 8 credits.  My commute is about an hour, and I have no kids or pets or anything like that.  I will be living with my boyfriend, also a student.  Any insight would mean so much.  Would I have to give up all my weekends? How different do you think it is from  the stress of first year of law school?

also: since how difficult would it be to transfer to a different school for the Spring or Fall???  I'm hoping the 2 classes will boost my GPA to make me a more attractive candidate as a transfer.  I have no choice but to work Full Time.  Since I'm going to be doing this commute thing for so long, I figured I might as well commute closer to work (NYC)..  I already finished one full year of law school as a part time student during the last school year.

Any Advice Guys??

Thnx so much in Advance!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Law School Part Time while working Full Time???
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 07:11:19 AM »
You may have difficulty transferring to a new school; you won't have the same credit hours as other schools' rising 2Ls since you're taking the minimum course load on top of going part time.

I'd check with some schools, and see what they say.  I know there's a decent number that start part time at their school, and then switch to the full time program, but I'm not sure how that works with the credit hours, required courses, etc.

norm012001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 09:48:30 AM »
My general schedule was to go to work from 8:30 until 5:30 and then go to class (my school is close by.)  Class lasts from 6 until about 8 or 9 Monday through Thursday.  typically on Friday I just took the night off, went straight home from work or went out or something.  Saturday was my major work day, usually 10-12 hours of reading and writing for LRW.  Sunday I would do about 4-5 more hours of work and call it a day.  This worked extremely well for me until finals when I would take a week to a week and a half off to prepare.  Honestly, I was probably working less hours during exams than during the semester if you count in all my job hours with school.  I took 10 hours both semesters.

I think whether or not you can handle has a lot to do with whether or not you like the classes.  I found the large majority of it interesting, so it wasn't as much of a burden.  there were weeks when I couldn't stand it, but not too many.
3.19/165, 6yrs work experience, EE Master's

Accepted: GWU, GMU, American
Waitlist: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVa
Withdrawn: UNC (withdrew in mid March, tired of waiting)

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 01:04:03 PM »
I am also going to be attending part-time and keeping my full-time job.

I spend some time talking with other students who are in the same situation, including students who are not graduated and have passed the bar.

Most of them had the same schedule as was mentioned by the previous poster and it worked for them.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

chicothegreat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 01:07:59 PM »
Id worked full-time, school part-time. Finished with 19 credits after the first year and in the top 5%. I applied to transfer and have been accepted to two Tier 2's and one Tier 1.  Moreover, the schools I have been accpeted to will allow me to go PT or FT. I'm sticking with PT. It's very possible to do, you just have to know its going to take discipline. Good Luck!

Douglas Frazey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 01:21:21 PM »
I did the same my first year.  It was tough, but law students need to be tough, right?   ;)

At my school, there is no difference between day versus evening credits, or part-time versus full-time credits.  However, as a wise earlier poster noted, you'll want to check and see if your school differentiates between the two.

I quit my job and bacame a full-time student at the end of my first year.  It was a scary decision (heck, it still is), but here's what led me to it:  First, my day job didn't lend itself to night school--I was a network/server guy, which meant too much new stuff to learn all the time, and too much after-hours and on-call work.  Second, it's hard to do clerkships, law review, moot court, volunteering, student organizations, etc. if you're working full-time and going to school.  It's good to have a paycheck while you're in school, but it's also good to be able to show employers after you graduate that you did something besides school and your bill-paying job.  I've been able to do better in my classes and get more out of school as a full-time student.

I do appreciate that it's tough to quit your job--believe me!   ;)  And, if you can't do it, you can't do it.  But if you can arrange even 1 year of full-time studies (thank goodness my school gives us that flexibility), I think you'll be better off for it.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 01:49:11 PM »
Id worked full-time, school part-time. Finished with 19 credits after the first year and in the top 5%. I applied to transfer and have been accepted to two Tier 2's and one Tier 1.  Moreover, the schools I have been accpeted to will allow me to go PT or FT. I'm sticking with PT. It's very possible to do, you just have to know its going to take discipline. Good Luck!

I'm doing part time, but i don't plan to work full time. I want to get as involved with the schools as possible. Chico, can you please let me know what schools you got into as a partimer into their FT or pt program, b/c i'm thinking about the same thing to live closer to my home town. Thanks and congrats!
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 02:57:52 PM »
Up at ~5
Work 6:30 - ~3:00
Study ~3:30 - 5:30
Class 5:30 - 7:30 M-F
Home ~8
Sat - maybe 1-3 hrs
Sun - 12-8 study

Wife, 2 kids, and average grades.  Traded grades for semi-stable marriage and family life.
10-11 hours a semester and 3-5 in the summer

latinlord - I know of at least one guy in the evening division (at IU-I) who is transferring after this summer session to a FT program at Seattle Univ. - hours transfer, grades don't.

wblaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 06:08:41 PM »

Well, lots of people do it, so it must be feasible.  This is what my schedule looked like last year, 2T school, and 10-11 credit hours:

wake up at 6am
get to work by 7am
leave work at 5pm
get to school at 6pm
class (4 days a week) until 8:30 or 9pm
go home, eat, hang out with spouse for an hour
go to bed.
off day: "date night"

Saturday:  up at 7-8am, study until 5-9pm (depending on legal writing assignments)
Sunday: up at 7-8am, finish by 1pm most of the time.  Do something fun/relax the rest of Sunday.  Second semester I was able to get most of the substantive classes done on Saturday and do legal writing Sunday, but I think my grades suffered as a result.

Used 5 days vacation each semester to study for finals.

Personally, I had to get almost all the reading/studying done on the weekends, but many night students study before or after class.  During the week I was just too fried after work and school to do it, not just mentally but physically (wrists & eyes).  Professors would usually, but not always, have assignments up to date 2 weeks out.  VERY frustrating when they would throw in last-minute items.

In a way, part time is easier as far as time management.  It's taken care of for you:  You HAVE to do the work during your window; you just don't have time to procrastinate, and so you don't.  Of course, any work or personal emergencies throws all of this out the window.