Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Academic Dismissal: take baby bar or retake LSAT?  (Read 1762 times)

kirklander

• View Profile
Academic Dismissal: take baby bar or retake LSAT?
« on: July 24, 2006, 05:12:18 AM »
Hi Iím new to this board and hoping to get some advice. In short I was a 1L at a 4th tier school in CA (ABA) but was academically disqualified. I rather not get into why I did so poorly but it had to do with my health but I foolishly tried to tough it out.

Anyway, at this point it will take time for me to regain my health during which Iíll be thinking about what to do with my future. Iíll certainly look into different fields and pursue something else. Having said that, Iíll also look into giving law school one more shot, especially if I feel that Iím physically fit this time.

IF I do choose the latter, here are my options.

First, I understand that according to ABA rules I have to sit out two years before I can apply to law schools again. So Iím thinking while sitting out, I can study for and take the LSAT while working. Of course I will only do so if I feel that I can do much better this time. I guess the problem is I had taken the LSAT twice already, back in 2003. But if I do much better this time, I can apply to law schools once again.

The other option is to take the baby bar, also known as FYLSX (first year law student examination), which as far as I know is only offered in CA. The school I was attending recently informed me that my performance on this exam will be considered by the committee with respect to being reinstated. Well that sounds fine and dandy but I also understand that this is an extremely difficult exam. Granted, these are often taken by non-ABA accredited schools, but the pass rate for the last two times itís been offered is 25%. And thatís just the pass rate, as unlike the BAR, you are given a grade (A to D), and D is passing. So point being, this is quite a challenge, especially for someone who couldnít even get through the first year.

Iím not sure if I have a specific question regarding my situation, but if someone has faced a similar situation, I would appreciate hearing from you, or anyone with knowledge about this. Honestly, at this point, just based on my limited research on baby bar, I feel that I have a better shot at doing much better on the LSAT. But on the other hand, although itís wishful thinking, maybe if I can get a B on the baby bar, and if I explain to the school why I did so poorly the first year, I think a solid grade on the baby bar demonstrates my ability to do well in law school.

And this might sound ridiculous, but maybe I can take the baby bar in June or July of next year, and if I either do poorly or donít get reinstated, then I can retake the LSAT because I have to sit out two years anyway.

By the way, I am aware that law school just might not be my calling but I would like to keep my options open.

Thanks for reading my post and I would appreciate any advice.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Academic Dismissal: take baby bar or retake LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 11:38:58 AM »
Are you definitely wanting to stay in California. If so, and you think you can do well on the baby bar, have you considered a state-accredited school? (Just to add more options to your list.)

I think considering whether or not law school is for you is another thing to take into consideration. However, I don' think academic disqualification is dispositive on whether someone should or should not be a law student or even a lawyer.

shimra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 12:44:10 PM »
My understanding is that if you take the LSATS more than once, the admissions committees do not consider your application in light of your highest score, but the average of all your scores.  (though do call any school you are interested in to verify this)  It is very difficult to bring your average significantly up, especially if you've taken the test two times already.  Unless your health problems significantly impaired your previous two testtaking sessions, I wouldn't count on being able to bring the LSAT more than a point or two up. 

Your best bet is to apply to other tier 4 schools that would accept someone with your current LSAT scores. 

My feeling is that the LSAT is a test that is difficult to study for, since it measures test-taking abilities that are not memorisation- based.  The baby bar would probably be the sort of test that you can study and prepare for.  Probably a good idea to call the admissions offices, tell them you are thinking about taking the baby bar, and ask them if they'd give it much weight. 

smitchelljr

• DePaul 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - theyoungsrm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:15:12 PM »
some schools will take the score if the jump is considerable. i jumped 11 points and all 3 out of the four schoools a applied to took the highest score instead of the average

shimra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 05:06:05 PM »
some schools will take the score if the jump is considerable. i jumped 11 points and all 3 out of the four schoools a applied to took the highest score instead of the average

Interesting.  How did you manage to bring it up so high? 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 07:45:22 PM »
check out the prelaw board for lsat policy; I thought I saw something over there about the ABA and schools making a major policy shift to accept the highest score.  It could have been flame, but there seemed to be a lot of buzz about it.

kirklander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 01:41:22 AM »
smitchelljr , I'm also interested in how you did so much better the second time. 11 points is a huge jump. What did you do different?

Also, you said the schools only considered the higher score, but how do you know that? Is it because you were accepted, you're assuming they took the higher score? Or did they tell you this?

Thanks