Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: health insurance  (Read 2814 times)

jess427m

• View Profile
Re: health insurance
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 01:09:03 PM »
Having never bought health insurance before I'm a bit confused (I've always been covered by my Dad's office, but they won't cover grad students).

What is the purpose of the deductible? I understand how it works for car insurance, but for health insurance it seems to negate the purpose of having the insurance in the first place.

If I choose a plan with a $1000 deductible does that mean that before my insurance covers anything I have to spend $1000 on care/treatment? If that's the case is it even worth it to get health insurance? If I'm a healthy non-smoker who rarely gets ill and goes to the doctor's only for annual checkups and don't take any prescription medications would I ever surpass the deductible?

I apologize in advance if I just have completely misunderstood how this works.

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 01:34:23 PM »
Thanks!

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 02:54:45 PM »
BTW, I checked into Unicare, BCBS, and Humana and Unicare was by far the best for the price and coverage level. Deductible doesn't apply to sick visits ... sold.
Carlos Cadena Society

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 04:01:09 PM »
BTW, I checked into Unicare, BCBS, and Humana and Unicare was by far the best for the price and coverage level. Deductible doesn't apply to sick visits ... sold.

Yep.  I applied for Unicare last week.  I'm still waiting for a response, as they want more information.

Jennifer17

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 06:29:09 PM »
I applied for Unicare as well.  My quoted rate for health insurance ($2500 deductible), dental, & $25000 life policy is $118/mo.

I would advise anyone against the school's policy. As an RN who worked with leukemia patients, I saw many healthy people in their 20s-30s diagnosed with leukemia and rack up upwards of a million dollars in health care bills.  The school's policy only covers $400,000 in benefits. You never know what might happen.

A note to the ladies on the board (especially the married like myself): the UT plan covers maternity in the event of an unintended (presumably) pregnancy but Unicare, BCBS, & humana don't. Humana might but it is probably $100+ extra per month. Just something to keep in mind.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 06:44:29 PM »
We're doing the FitCare 2000 (if Unicare will get around to approving).  I was quoted about $266/month for our family.  I didn't go for the Dental and Life Insurance options, though.  Good pregnancy insurance appears difficult to get unless you get on a large group plan through work.

Jennifer17

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 07:23:01 PM »
Good pregnancy insurance appears difficult to get unless you get on a large group plan through work.

Yeah, it's too bad they don't offer some kind of student rate.  Since most students aren't actively trying to get pregnant, the rate of pregnancy is probably much lower and ought to make us qualify for a lower premium.

Maybe it's my professional background, but when it comes to health care, I want every possibility covered.

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 07:34:15 PM »
were you guys looking at unicare on the Sam's website...or just via unicare?

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 07:49:43 PM »
www.unicare.com

I'd not heard of getting it through Sam's Club (that the Sam's you're talking about?).

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 10:33:10 PM »
yes - it was mentioned earlier on the thread...that's why I was wondering