Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: health insurance  (Read 2921 times)

cozmo

• View Profile
health insurance
« on: July 23, 2006, 08:53:56 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the UT student health insurance? Any recommendations for anything else?

Have any of the former UT undergrads used the UT student health services -- any good?

Thanks in advance...

cozmo

• View Profile
Re: health insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 12:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the insight, everyone.

I kind of like the "young, healthy man" description --  I think i will start introducing myself that way.

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 04:41:11 PM »
I kind of like the "young, healthy man" description --  I think i will start introducing myself that way.

Excellent plan.  'Specially if you start hanging out socially with underwriters or actuaries.

Seriously, though, my husband's present from BCBS for his 35th birthday was a 10% premium increase.

35? Daaaammmmmmnnnnnn....

Just kidding  ;)
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »
I'll trip him with my cane.  Then you start beating him with your walker.

Well, I assumed it would happen at some point, but I have already been threatened with violence and I am not even at school yet. Fantastic. :P
Carlos Cadena Society

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 08:52:43 PM »
I wish ya'll would stop talking about 35 as old....I'll be 37 in a couple of weeks damn it!

BTW - Since I am transferring in, I won't get to know any of you guys in class...but if there are any upcoming get togethers - I'd enjoy meeting the fellow LSDers...

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 10:45:42 PM »
I wish ya'll would stop talking about 35 as old....I'll be 37 in a couple of weeks d**mn it!

BTW - Since I am transferring in, I won't get to know any of you guys in class...but if there are any upcoming get togethers - I'd enjoy meeting the fellow LSDers...

Join one of the many groups started for just such bulletins. There is a facebook group, myspace group, and I think another one lurking around.
Carlos Cadena Society

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 10:48:00 PM »
face what...my what?

Just kidding...I'll start looking around for them...

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 09:52:29 AM »
I've been looking at health insurance somewhat passively for the last couple months.  I'm getting ready to go into a more active search of getting actual quotes and comparing plan details over the next week or two.  The ones I've seen that appear decent are:
UniCare (www.unicare.com)
Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Texas (www.bcbstx.com)
Humana (www.humana.com)

They all seem to offer a $1000 deductible plan for around $500/month (family w/ 2 kids).

margee

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 10:03:58 AM »

Looks like if you're single and healthy, it's not a horrible deal - $1500/year (including the optional major medical rider)

Where did you find the price?  Is it hidden somewhere in that brochure?  Am I just blind?

margee

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 11:09:56 AM »
Thanks  :)