Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opinions on Microsoft's OneNote  (Read 2022 times)

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: Opinions on Microsoft's OneNote
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 04:23:33 PM »
Hmm...not sure why there'd be a need to "close" a folder; they don't really get in the way at all, and I've never done it in the year I've used it.

For me it is a case of visual distraction.  If there are tabs at the top of something, and I'm only going to be using half of the tabs, I prefer to only have those tabs I'll be using visible.

Useage-wise, it was totally counter-intuitive to how other Microsoft tools work that include a project space.  They made it feel like closing a file from the view, yet really deleted it from the project.  Microsoft usually does a really good job of providing coherent interfaces across different software packages, so I blame it on the fact that One Note hasn't had that many releases of polish yet.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 05:03:15 PM »
I just bought a version off of Ebay for $21.00, which is the first time I've ever bought a program off Ebay. The guy was Chinese and stated that the only thing missing from the package was the flip top from the box. The feedback seemed legit, but I'm still a bit uneasy.

Oh well, what's done is done. I just hope it works and I get it in time to play with it before classes start.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 06:38:46 PM »
When you say he's Chinese, do you mean that he lives in China? If so, I'd avoid making such purchasing. Software counterfeiting is rampant there. And it's easy to forge positive eBay feedback.

I just bought a version off of Ebay for $21.00, which is the first time I've ever bought a program off Ebay. The guy was Chinese and stated that the only thing missing from the package was the flip top from the box. The feedback seemed legit, but I'm still a bit uneasy.

Oh well, what's done is done. I just hope it works and I get it in time to play with it before classes start.
Georgetown

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 11:13:32 PM »
When you say he's Chinese, do you mean that he lives in China? If so, I'd avoid making such purchasing. Software counterfeiting is rampant there. And it's easy to forge positive eBay feedback.

Yeah, I'm aware of the issue of Chinese pirating. It was a Texas address. Also, I looked closer into some of his positive feedback quotes in an attempt to verify their authenticity, and they seem legit. Hopefully, this is just me being paranoid. 

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 12:24:19 AM »
I had some issues with it myself.. not really issues, but just getting myself comfortable with it.

But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 01:14:14 AM »
Are there any other law-school-handy programs out there that are worth the investment, besides OneNote, Word, Adobe, and the usual preinstalled stuff? I'm unfortunately not too experienced in relying on a laptop for my studies.

and?

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 12:41:40 AM »
There's a program called Outliner, I think Lexis has a link to it. If you buy Outliner, you get free case briefs from Lexis, or something like that. I've never used it but I have a friend who uses it, haven't heard anything bad about it.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 08:30:12 PM »
There's a program called Outliner, I think Lexis has a link to it. If you buy Outliner, you get free case briefs from Lexis, or something like that. I've never used it but I have a friend who uses it, haven't heard anything bad about it.

Yeah, I think I've heard a few things about Outliner. I heard it was kind of overpriced for what it did, but that the free case briefs made it worth it. This is just ambiguous hearsay though.

HLC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 12:35:58 PM »
Lexis just sent me a 50% off offer on Outliner 

Perhaps it's worth it for the briefs then.  Hmmmm

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2006, 11:53:33 PM »