Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You should all live in fear...  (Read 2536 times)

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
You should all live in fear...
« on: July 20, 2006, 01:29:33 PM »
... for I have reached 50 posts and now can affect your reputations.

Muhahahahaha.<holds hand up to face with lone pinky finger extended towards mouth>
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
Re: You should all live in fear...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 01:33:29 PM »
For the record, I just gave you a rep pt.

Touche
+1 for the pic, quid pro quo.
Carlos Cadena Society

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »
I'm too opinionated to get real rep points.  All of mine must have been mercy points.  Good thing I avoid the General boards.  I'm tempted to dive into the discussions till I see that everyone posting is in the -100's and dropping with every post they make.  :)

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 02:22:27 PM »
Yeah, I made the mistake of going out there -- I was up in double digits until I pissed off the "free-thinkers" (read: equality idealists) with some practical/real life advice (read: "that's nice and all, but real life isn't like that and probably won't ever be").  I guess they didn't like that too much. :D

Was that by coming up with your totally sensible and just-about-universally-agreed-upon notion that either gray or navy is most appropriate for an interview suit?

If so, he must have pissed off some Europeans who wear purple suits with white socks.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 02:59:10 PM »
Fortunately my sound fashion advice didn't stir up too much of a ruckus.  It's been a while and I deleted the posts since then, but I want to say it was about inappropriate behavior at firm functions... ie. drinking.

Ah, that was the thread about the guy who got drunk and started talking about the partner's wife and found his desk was pre-cleared out for him the next morning?

EDIT:
OK, I found the article I was thinking of.  It was an associate instead of a partner, but here's the link.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/topic,4717.0.html

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 04:13:09 PM »
I don't like to hide what I drink.  I prefer to walk around with the A&W Root Beer can in my hand for all to see.  I don't feel like tipping a bartender to placing my root beer in a fishbowl glass with a paper umbrella coming out when I can grab a cold can from the table myself.

There are some people who prefer not to drink, or prefer to drink only a little bit.  Nursing one drink the entire night might make it a lot easier for some of them to refuse other drinks.  They can always point to it and say they're not finished with that one yet.  Not everyone feels they can get away with just saying no.

I believe this issue is more of a problem in European countries.  They have lower drinking ages there, and it is more customary to have alcohol with most meals (or at every party).  In the US, the population of folks who don't drink is probably rather large compared to Europe, so there is a different amount of social pressure.

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »
I should point out that a well seasoned drinker will never be fooled by the nursing strategy. The melted ice and condensation all over the drink give you away.

That being said, I don't pressure people to drink.

However, at a firm function with open bar, I plan to well ... "when in Rome..."  ;D
Carlos Cadena Society

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 04:31:05 PM »
I plan on just standing next to Brave at every social.  When someone comes up and asks if I want a drink I'll take it.  When they aren't looking, I'll pass it to Brave, who'll pass me his empty glass.  I'll see how many people are observant enough to see that they passed me a flute glass, but I'm now holding a plastic cup.  ;)

pocho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 04:40:26 PM »
I just read the thread Felsen referred to. I can't believe people are so worried about being made an offer with their firms that they feel like they should drink to fit in with the other firm members.  I would think most people wouldn't care whether you drank or not as long as you wern't a jerk about it, one way or the other.  How insecure and juvenile can these people be?

Now that I'm done venting, I definitely would have lost reputation points for that, if a firm denied me an offer because I didn't drink with them I probably wouldn't want to work for them anyway. 

Maybe I'll follow Felsen's lead and pass all my drinks to Nix, he seems like he can hold his liquor and then some.     

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 04:47:39 PM »
I plan on just standing next to Brave at every social.  When someone comes up and asks if I want a drink I'll take it.  When they aren't looking, I'll pass it to Brave, who'll pass me his empty glass.  I'll see how many people are observant enough to see that they passed me a flute glass, but I'm now holding a plastic cup.  ;)

Flute implies Champagne ... my Achilles heel.  :-[
Carlos Cadena Society