Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school discouragement  (Read 1273 times)

rvill7

• View Profile
    • Email
Law school discouragement
« on: July 19, 2006, 02:47:57 PM »
I am just beginning my journey to law school and have a great family who offers me much support but its my boyfriend who is a bit discouraging.

Has anyone received discouragement about the decision to attend law school from family/friends? If so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks.

-Rosa

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law school discouragement
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:09:43 PM »
Drop the boyfriend.

Janna116

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:30:11 PM »
I did get a few people who responded "Great! Just what we need...more lawyers! Why don't you go do something more useful with your life.  Like be a real estate agent or accountant."  Of course I'm paraphrasing and I'm not sure why those are more respectable jobs but those are a few of the suggestions I got. 

Remember that everyone has a reason for what they say.  I don't think they were necessarily being mean.  I think they thought that they were being helpful by suggesting other things to do which obviously didn't require going to law school. 

Try to think of why your boyfriend isn't being supportive: 

1. Will you have to move away?  Will he come with you?  Is he in a position to move?

2. What is his highest degree?  Does/will he have a graduate degree too or even a college degree?  Do you think he might be worried about feeling intelectually inferior or worried about you "wearing the pants" and how you'll feel about him?

3. Did he have other plans that you might not know about but that your law school plans are now interfering with?

Talk to him and find out what is bothering him and if he is just being an unsupportive jerk then...

...drop the boyfriend.

Jen

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 03:36:43 PM »
I would also suggest dropping the boyfriend if he can't be supportive.  Lets say that you stay with the boyfriend and get married and don't go to law school.  You'll regret not going for the rest of your life and you will, ultimately, resent him for that.  You have to pursue your dreams and he should be supportive of that.  If he loves you/cares about you, then he should want you to be happy.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 04:25:07 PM »
Drop the boyfriend. I realize that it’s easier said than done, plus you don’t want to be one of those clichés (enter law school=breakup w/ significant other). However, law school should take precedence to your bf. If you were married, it might be a little different, but at this point you should be looking out for yourself. He’s just not going to be able to handle the time constraints that 1L will impose on your schedule; thus, his attitude will just get worse. Hope it all works out.

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 05:01:47 PM »
I'm going to agree with everyone else here (herd mentality). You only have one life. There are many potential boyfriends.

If my girlfriend wasn't (or doesn't remain) completely, 100 percent, behind me I would/will give her walking papers. And thats after 6 years.

rvill7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »
Thanks everyone, the thought of breaking up with him has definitely crossed my mind. It will be hard but my personal goals remain more important. I will continue talking to him about it and see if we can figure something out even if it means breaking up. Thanks again.

rvill7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 02:19:55 PM »
Thanks lalala, my boyfriend did in fact graduate from college and now works for a big accounting firm. I was supposed to go to Italy for 7 months last year but didn't end up going because he talked me out of it, he said he would miss me too much and what not. I realize now that it was an extremely stupid thing of me to do. For that reason I am seriously considering going into law school as a single woman.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 06:33:21 PM »
There should be no considering at this point.  Its one thing to say, "I'm going to miss you, I wish I could go to Italy with you!" It's entirely different to say, "Hey, don't go."

This guy is concerned with himself, and obviously would rather have you turn down once-in-a-lifetime opportunities so you can make him happy instead.

Drop him.  Do it before you miss out on anything else.  There are more than enough guys out there who would be willing and able to support your dreams, not talk you out of them.

ksully

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »
Max out his credit card, then dump him.