Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you stay or would you go?  (Read 2135 times)

tinyandi

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84/157; BA & MA from UPenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
Would you stay or would you go?
« on: July 17, 2006, 02:30:05 PM »
Hi All:

What would you do?  Would you stay at a Tier 1 (Mid 20s) school in the top 5% of the class with Law Review, school activities and 1/3 tuition? 

Or would you transfer to:
1) Berkeley?
2) NYU?

Goals:  Work either in the South (Florida/Georgia) or West coast (California).  Looking to Clerk (Federal) first.

Constructive Criticism would be much appreciated.  Thank you.
Attending: Emory
In: UF, UM
Wailisted: ND (Group 1), Berkeley (Group 1)
Rejections: GW, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tinyandi

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Would you stay or would you go?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 03:00:18 PM »
That is really a tough call.

I would say the clerkship would be the deciding factor in pushing me to say NYU/Boalt. They are very prestige driven jobs, I think the top 10 standing would help you. At the same time, top of your class at a top 25 has you standing out a fair deal as it is. You'd likely be a "shoe-in" at whatever local district court you are close to. A bit more questionable if you are hoping for Appellate. If you harbor any SCOTUS hoop dreams then I think the transfer option is no question.
I'm sure you will place well in the major California markets (San Fran, LA, San Diego) if you stay put. It's impossible to deny Boalt's placement in the elite Cali firms however. They are the big dog in the state.
Aside from that, I might say to stay put. I think you are the first person on here or the Yahoo board I have not recommend to transfer hands-down.

Best of luck to you either way. Congrats on an amazing 1L.
Air Force JAG Corps

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 04:10:25 PM »
Aside from that, I might say to stay put. I think you are the first person on here or the Yahoo board I have not recommend to transfer hands-down.

Best of luck to you either way. Congrats on an amazing 1L.

I second everything that CoxlessPair said... I also usually vote transfer.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 11:47:17 PM »
I would defnitely transfer.  When you transfer from such a highly ranked school to a top-10 you'll be able to get multiple BigLaw offers.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 12:47:10 AM »
I would agree with the above posters.  I would also add that, with your awesome grades, you obviously write very well.  Therefore, I would think that you could write on to Law Review at whichever school you choose to attend.

tinyandi

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84/157; BA & MA from UPenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 05:38:25 PM »
Thank you all for all your wonderful responses.  I've spoken with several professors and professionals and they all reply similarly: they don't know whether to recommend to transfer or not, although they usually recommend to transfer.

They all seem to stress how important it is to graduate without debt, and my current school just gave me more scholarship money to stay.

It might end up that I'll stay unless HYS comes through.  Thank you all for your insights.
Attending: Emory
In: UF, UM
Wailisted: ND (Group 1), Berkeley (Group 1)
Rejections: GW, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tinyandi