Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Review or Much Better School?  (Read 3659 times)

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law Review or Much Better School?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 11:12:14 PM »
Actually Ave Maria is known and well-respected in DC and any gov job for that matter. Ave Maria also places well in JAG and is now starting to do well in the biglaw DC, NY firms.

I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 07:53:48 PM »
Not to burst anyones Ave Maria bubble but the NALP directory (www.nalpdirectory.com) lists the following as the only firms/associations coming to campus for on-campus interviewing:

BUTZEL LONG   DETROIT MI
Michigan Court of Appeals   Lansing MI
U.S. Army Judge Advocate General's Corps   Washington DC

Unless people are getting lots of DC and NY jobs through direct mailings, which I highly doubt, then I wouldn't really say they are doing "great" in the job competition.  I don't be mean here but the numbers from NALP reflect something.

Illinois has 178 firms/offices come to campus.  For career prospects it's not even close. Even Cooley has 8 employers come to campus.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 08:36:07 PM »
You should transfer under any circumstances.  Even if you have a full ride, even if you have law review, even if you are screwing the hottest chick in Michigan--transfer.  I'm not as big on prestige as others on this board, but this huge of a jump will make a huge difference.

Even if you lose your ranking and end up at the bottom of the class at UIUC, I bet you will have better career prospects than now. 

Plus you might be able to write on to law review

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 09:39:47 PM »
You think only places that do OCI are hiring Ave students?

And yes, they do place very well in gov, but don't believe me, I don't care. I'm just stating things that are true so people can better understand the answers that I am providing them with, any other questions?

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 08:58:15 AM »
I'm just stating things that are true so people can better understand the answers that I am providing them with, any other questions?

I'm not even sure that statement is in English, much less intelligible English.  Do I understand you to say that you are proving your statements (i.e. your "answers") with your statements?  If so, that just furthers the general advice to the OP to transfer - look what staying at Ave does to your grasp on logic.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 09:07:08 AM »
I was just making the point that transferring would be smart.  Ave Maria is probably a fine school (even though I hear it's moving to Florida), but let's not pretened it's "beginning to place well into BigLaw." 

In addition, any school that places most of its people into government jobs is doing so by default.  After the private sector positions fill up, the public sector is what's left. To anticipate the reply to this - yes, there are plenty of prestigious government positions but these are going to grads of top-25 law schools.

It sounds like students coming out of Ave Maria are getting jobs and that's important.  But let's not steer a potential transfer away from Illinois,. providing them with misleading information. The types of jobs, factoring in prestige and money, will be far and away superior at Illinois.

Consideration

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 01:18:54 PM »
I find it ridiculous for people to even ponder these type of questions.

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 04:58:23 PM »
I'm just stating things that are true so people can better understand the answers that I am providing them with, any other questions?

I'm not even sure that statement is in English, much less intelligible English.  Do I understand you to say that you are proving your statements (i.e. your "answers") with your statements?  If so, that just furthers the general advice to the OP to transfer - look what staying at Ave does to your grasp on logic.

Generally speaking, I don't like posts that belittle others.  However,due to loads of moot court stress and a heavy helping of humor, this post made my day. Golf clap.