Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Review or Much Better School?  (Read 3606 times)

mystaar22

• View Profile
Law Review or Much Better School?
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:36:24 AM »
I am currently a rising 2L at Ave Maria School of Law. I am pretty sure that I am going to be on law review next year. However, I have been accepted to transfer to The University of Illinois. What should I do? I know that Illinois is a much better ranked school that Ave is, but I know that law review is really important. Please help me, I want to work at a big firm in Chicago, DC, or New York and I know that most of them want law review but I also know that Illinois is much more respected. Thanks for your help.

Gooseface

• View Profile
Re: Law Review or Much Better School?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:54:11 AM »
I'm in a similar situation.  Im currently at a tier 2 school (that is bordering on tier 3) but I will be on law review next year.  Im considering transfering to a tier 1 (where I wont be on law review).

If big firm is what you're looking for, it may be better to stay.  If you're top of your class with law review, you should/may be able to land one of those jobs (although, many employers may overlook law review in favor of a big name school applicant).  However, I spoke with someone who, after law school, worked in DC and a big firm.  He said that your first employer will often look at law review, but, it may get trumped by a bigger named school.  Additionally, after your first job, no one seems to really care what your rank was or if you were on law review, or if you were on moot court.  Instead, it seems that the questions pretty much begin and end with: "where did you go to school and tell me about your last job"?

Its a really tough call.  Good luck with it.  Let me know if you find out any more valuable insight (some others on this board have helped a lot).

NSFW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 12:36:31 PM »
Why not email a few students on law review and ask about a supplemental writing competition? My school has one for transfer students and those who did not get a chance to participate in the write-on.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 01:59:47 PM »
I would suggest you transfer.

Average UIUC >> Law Review at a barely accredited T4 (at least in the eyes of BIGLAW recruiting)
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 03:15:41 PM »
If you want big law, UIUC. No question.

It's been a top 25 program (save this year) for quite a while. They have great placement in Chicago because of the massive alumni network. If you are in the top 1/3rd, you'll be fighting alongside the Northwestern, Chicago, and Michigan students for the jobs at Skadden, Kirkland, Sidley, and Seyfarth.

Ave Maria is a huge gamble. I'm currently working in Chicago and worked at a Chicago firm as an undergraduate for four summers. I never once came across an Ave Maria grad. I'd bet even less people know about AM in DC or NYC.

Good luck.
Air Force JAG Corps

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 11:44:52 PM »
You have to transfer.  I honestly don't think that employers care as much about law review as schools would like you to think.  I transferred from a T-2 to a T-1 and had I stayed, there is absolutely no way I would have gotten a job with a national firm.

waker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 12:18:35 AM »
Start looking for places in Champaign.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 12:44:53 AM »
If you want big law, UIUC. No question.

It's been a top 25 program (save this year) for quite a while. They have great placement in Chicago because of the massive alumni network. If you are in the top 1/3rd, you'll be fighting alongside the Northwestern, Chicago, and Michigan students for the jobs at Skadden, Kirkland, Sidley, and Seyfarth.

Ave Maria is a huge gamble. I'm currently working in Chicago and worked at a Chicago firm as an undergraduate for four summers. I never once came across an Ave Maria grad. I'd bet even less people know about AM in DC or NYC.

Good luck.

I would agree with this post, especially considering the rumored move to Florida.  All things considered, not transferring would be highly suicidal to your career.

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 10:10:08 PM »
Actually Ave Maria is known and well-respected in DC and any gov job for that matter. Ave Maria also places well in JAG and is now starting to do well in the biglaw DC, NY firms.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 11:04:11 PM »
Actually Ave Maria is known and well-respected in DC and any gov job for that matter. Ave Maria also places well in JAG and is now starting to do well in the biglaw DC, NY firms.

Yes, but Sen. Brownback only has so many positions available.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio