Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what color suit to get?  (Read 3320 times)

hoopster

• View Profile
what color suit to get?
« on: July 16, 2006, 08:52:04 PM »
What color suit is appropriate for interviews?

lalala

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: what color suit to get?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 08:59:39 PM »
Someone told me that navy is traditional.  Don't quote me on that, though.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 09:15:33 PM »
that's the advice i was given.  oh, yeah, a white shirt too.   :)
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

hoopster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 11:12:24 PM »
I was told either charcoal or navy, but I just wanted to make sure that was correct.

jenery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 02:03:21 AM »
for girls i was told: charcoal, navy, or black. with very subtle pinstripes. i don't think guys should wear black.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 02:31:26 AM »
I went to Men's Warehouse to buy two suits recently and they also suggested Navy and Grey/Charcoal.  I bought two nice suits for around $700, one Navy and one Charcoal.  Best thing is free alterations forever.  I found the people there very knowledgable as to what is appropriate and what most of their lawyer customers buy.  Just FYI.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 02:30:06 PM »
I go for black and gray and variations thereupon. Lets me coordinate more, and limits the shoes I need to own. Is it different for women. I don't know; I'm bad at this fashion stuff.

hoopster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 06:12:20 PM »
How often will I actually need to wear a suit while in law school?  I know for interviews obviously, but are there many other times?  I'm wondering just how nice of a suit I actually need.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 06:39:40 PM »
You'll wear it for interviews, when you want to look your very best.  That alone should warrant a nice suit .  I'm not talking a $1000 suit or anything; regardless of how much it costs, it should be made of a quality fabric, and fit you perfectly.

But after interviews, you may end up wearing one every day at work, depending on what kind of job you get.  Firms and D.A.'s offices are all different; some allow business casual, others want business formal.

If you live near a Filene's basement, I've heard they have a decent suit section.  K&G Mens usuallly have a huge selection, and either free or reasonably priced tailoring.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 07:09:03 PM »
How often will I actually need to wear a suit while in law school?  I know for interviews obviously, but are there many other times?  I'm wondering just how nice of a suit I actually need.
This gets the ultimate law school answer: it depends.

For example, if you do a clinic, externship, clerkship, or something like that, you might need a suit whenever you're acting the part of the professional. Same for a job, but that varies by workplace. There might be other times like professional receptions where it would be appropriate to wear a suit.