Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For which subject would reading E&E's be most beneficial  (Read 1683 times)

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
For which subject would reading E&E's be most beneficial
« on: July 16, 2006, 03:09:40 AM »
If you had to pick 2 E&E's out of these 4 classes, which would they be?

* Civil Procedure
    * Contracts I
    * Property I
    * Torts I

Or should I just dish out the money for all of them.

Any other material prep suggested besides prep books

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
Re: For which subject would reading E&E's be most beneficial
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 06:10:32 PM »
None. I bought the one for torts before I knew what study aid the teacher recommended and it turned out to be a waste of money. Don't buy anything until you (a) know what your prof recommends (b) glance through a few of them to figure out which one will be most beneficial.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 06:50:12 PM »
I agree with psuisback, but if I had to pick 2, I'd say torts and civ pro.  You may cover differnet material, and there are some terms your prof may not use, but over all, civ pro and torts are pretty universal in terms of basic concepts.  Most everyone in torts covers negligence and at least some intentional torts.  Same with personal jurisdiction in civil procecure.

Don't try to study them; if you insist on reading them, take them by the pool and just sort of get a general idea of what sort of material you'll cover, and get a feel for some of the terminology.  Anything more than that is a waste of your time, IMO.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 07:41:28 PM »
For what its worth, I agree with Jacy in saying that out of those foru, torts and civpro are the best bet.  But, let's not gild the lilly here - let's unambiguously state that reading any E&E at this point in one's nonexistant law school career is a waste of time.  They are study aids, not class replacements.  They will be of minimal help staning alone - they need context (i.e. class) to accomplish their purpose.  Slow down, chill out, and go to class the first day ready to go from there.

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 08:44:53 PM »
i would def'ly get all. i used them heavily and found them very helpful. Plus you can get em used for cheap. its gonna be hard to say which ones are better rather than others cause that will depend a lot on what your professor/casebook focus on the most.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 08:27:53 AM »
I'll agree with the "if you've got to read something...", that torts and civ pro would be the best to choose.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 02:38:35 PM »
I've got to be the one to disagree here. I used them for Contracts and Property and thought they were relatively helpful.

Didn't even come come close to needing it for Torts.

Hadn't thought about it for Civ Pro.

I guess it depends on what subjects you 'get' or not. Personally, torts comes really easy to me. I understand it. Whereas with Contracts, I can't 'contract' my way out of a paper bag so I needed some help in that area.

I love the E and E for Crim Law as well.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 10:24:50 PM »
Civ Pro E&E is actually on my booklist

dorsia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 05:31:16 PM »
I would read the E & E for Civil Procedure.  You will have to read it again during the semester, but as with anything else, repitition is always important when learning a subject.  Before my first year I read the E & E for Civil Procedure and ended up doing very well in the class.  I probably read it twice again throughout the semester, but having read it once before, at a minimum, helped me become familiar with what proved to be tricky concepts.

I read the Torts E & E as well.  Although, again, I feel that repitition is always important when learning the law, I wouldn't bother unless you really want to. 

The E & E for Property, on the other hand, was very helpful.  I didn't read it during the summer, but spent quite a bit of time on the sections dealing with Life Estates, Covenants, and Equitable Servitudes.  Because I waited until the semester to know what the professor taught, however, I was able to to focus on those concepts rather than having wasted my time on topics we didn't cover in class. 

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 01:55:14 AM »
Civ Pro! That and the barbri CD saved my butt on the exam. Crim Law was also helpful, but less helpful. I didn't really need much help with Torts. The free stuff on Westlaw was sufficient.