Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law review! / Trial Ad team  (Read 743 times)

lawchick25

• View Profile
Law review! / Trial Ad team
« on: July 13, 2006, 08:28:52 PM »

I just found out that I graded onto law review and I am happy since I would like to clerk for a judge, etc.

However, I really would like to be part of my school's Trial Advocacy team- as it is one of the best teams in the nation (chances are slim- they only pick four people).

My issue is- If i do happen to get on that, should i quit law review because it will be too much? And if i do, will that be a huge mistake in regards to jobs and judicial clerkships...

I think i know the answer to this- but the trial ad team seems so much more interesting to me and my interests then cite checking...

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law review! / Trial Ad team
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 09:15:39 PM »
It depends on what your goals are. Because you want to clerk for a judge, law review is the better choice. However, you seem to already know that.

For most people, a lot of things are more interesting than journal work. (However, this may not be true in my case. I have yet to find out.) Most people don't join a law journal because it's interesting; they do it because it looks good on a resume and it's good experience. (Although arguably knowing whether to capitalize the "S" in "see also" following a previous citation is not an essential skill for a lawyer.)

What do you want to do after clerking for a judge? If BigLaw or academia, I would say go for law review. (However, if you graded onto law review, then you may have sufficient access to these career options anyway. Law review could just be the icing on the cake.)

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 11:23:39 PM »
If you can do both without going insane, do it.  If not, keep in mind that law review is one of the very few things that follow you after graduation.  No one cares if you were on a clinic, no one cares if you were in the Law Students for Justice Society or something, and even though your Trial Ad team may be the hottest thing since a buttered roll, no one cares if you were on the Trial Ad team.  They care about what school you went to, did you graduate with latin honors, and were you on law review.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 07:00:02 AM »
Law Review, no question.

If you want to clerk for a judge, it's practically a requirement.  Even if you want to do litigation, the credentials of Law Review will get you further than anything else.  Yes, litigators like moot court and mock trial, but in the end, law review is still the activity they'd prefer over all others.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 03:02:23 PM »
I know people who do both Law Review and Moot Court (and our moot court team is tops in the area). One particular person I know does both and still stays on the Dean's List so it certainly can be done.
But if you have to chose one, then LR for sure
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality