Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How do you pronounce the word "applicable"?

APPlicable
appLICKable
applicABLE
some other way
you suck

Author Topic: Studying Plans  (Read 1155 times)

jess427m

• View Profile
Studying Plans
« on: July 13, 2006, 03:21:58 PM »
Just wondering what others were planning to do.

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: Studying Plans
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 03:29:56 PM »
Blech.  No Vote.

The problem is, I see several of these as being orthogonal.  I'll be studying on my own on campus a lot, and also looking into a formal study group.  I expect 1-2 hours a week with a group until exam times approach.  Otherwise most of my studies will be private reading hours.  I'll probably also have some impromptu discussions with various folks from class talking about various hypotheticals.

pocho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 03:49:56 PM »
I hadn't given much thought to study groups.  It all depends on the difficulty of the material, for me at least, and such.  During my UG I had some good friends that I hate to say were a lot smarter than me.  I mooched off of them more than I would like to admit.  It was in engineering though, and I know law material is much different. 

This leads me to another thought.  In my program, there seemed to be a pecking order of study groups/mooching.  The smartest or at least most studious kids in the class always knew the material first.  They then passed it on to those that were just below them in the class, and so forth.  The key was to move up as high as possible without getting found out that you really never had anything to contribute to the group, but mainly held everybody back as they explained concepts to you. 

Also if study groups get much larger than 3-4 people, they seem to be unproductive.  So if I can be the mooch in a small group ;D why not.   

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 04:31:53 PM »
No formal study groups for me, but I am sure I will meet up with people from time to time to prepare for exams. I have yet to see the library, but at my UG the library was a big social hour that girls dressed up for. I got nothing done there. I also agree that as soon as a group gets beyond 3-4 people is it very unproductive unless there is some sort of division of labor that needs to be managed.
Carlos Cadena Society

Gooseface

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 05:16:16 PM »
The study group of 3 or more at law school is even worse than undergrad.  The problem is, especially the first semester before grades come out, EVERYONE thinks they'll be in the top 10% (or, if they have ZERO self-confidence...top 25%) and so EVERYONE feels like they need to say something on the tiniest of issues because they feel that they are super smart.  Additionally, no one will want to be wrong, and since a lot of law is somewhat theoretical, you can have endless debates that will not help you at all come test time.  And, if you dont have any problems with whatever principle is being debated, you just have to sit back and hang on for the ride...except that you feel like you're pretty smart too, so you end up joining in when there is any type of break in the converstation.
As was said before, I reccomend studying with one other person.  That way you can bounce ideas off each other and correct minor misconceptions you dont even realize you have on certain legal principles.  It can make a big difference.

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 07:50:37 PM »
I plan on banging a few 2L's and 3L's on a regular basis, and to use them as study aids (trade for services, if you will), supplemental to the commercial variety.  And by commercial variety, I mean strippers.

(kidding)

Bahahahahaha  :D

I am glad my sophomoric humor will be appreciated by at least one person on this board, but I must ask:

if you are going to bang UT students...

why not make them undergrads?  ;D
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 06:55:36 PM »
You plan on tagging a bunch of ragtag male law school students? :D

EDIT:

I stand corrected.  There are a ton of hot ugrad girls in there.  Subsequently and for totally unrelated reasons, I also joined the group.

I joined as well ... so I could "get to know" some new people.
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 07:25:11 PM »
Though you'll note that the last post was like 10/2005, so the board will need to be resuscitated. 

We should take over...
Carlos Cadena Society