Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IU-INDY...Who is going, or who is there?  (Read 700 times)

Shiftagon

• View Profile
IU-INDY...Who is going, or who is there?
« on: July 13, 2006, 06:48:08 AM »
...For those going, any helpful info? 

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: IU-INDY...Who is going, or who is there?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 05:06:51 PM »
go to the school specific thread and read the info there

T00083

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 06:09:06 PM »
Desmo, hows life there in Indy for you?   Besides whats offered there in the previous thread, can you offer any more insight?  DId you have Wilkins for Torts? 

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 07:28:07 AM »
No, but I heard Wilkins is pretty good.

Beware profs who have never taught a first year class before - they assume you know too much of the basics and forget 1Ls may not even know the jargon let alone the basic concepts of the course.

T00083

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 10:49:42 AM »
Desmo, in your experience, how competitive is it when it comes to getting non-paid summer work for the public defender/prosecutor, trial court internships, or government agencies in Indianapolis.  (especially after your first year) Also, how competitive are the various journals at IU-I when it comes to writing on?

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 09:17:29 PM »
Desmo, in your experience, how competitive is it when it comes to getting non-paid summer work for the public defender/prosecutor, trial court internships, or government agencies in Indianapolis.  (especially after your first year) Also, how competitive are the various journals at IU-I when it comes to writing on?

My experience is very, very light in this area.  The law journals are based on gpa or you can get in if you win a writing competition.  If you are in the top 10% you'll be invited to join law review.  IU-I's web site may have more info on the other journals.  From what I've seen though, journal work is a lot on top of a bunch of course work already, so if you don't mind living at the law school you'll be ok.

I think the trial court internships are pretty tough because of the experience they provide.  I know one person who is in at the prosecutors office and it is a paid position.  They had a recommendation from someone in the 'community' that got them the job because I know the grades weren't there.  It seems most people are looking for paid positions.  Sorry, wish I could offer more than just generalities.

Overall, competition does not seem that fierce as what I expected.  I have not seen any cases of removing library books or giving your class mates bad info so they choke on the exam.

So pretty much the answer is: I don't know.

Hmmm - feels like Con Law.