Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Review Wait...and wait....and wait  (Read 4523 times)

gobig

• View Profile
Law Review Wait...and wait....and wait
« on: July 12, 2006, 04:40:07 PM »
Anybody else out there waiting to hear about #$%@#$# law review? And what do you think your chances are?

UNLVLaw30

• View Profile
Re: Law Review Wait...and wait....and wait
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 05:21:18 PM »
I'm still waiting, and I won't know until the end of July. I have no idea what my chances are, but after doing a few calculations, I determined that I have a 33% chance of making it.

lanval

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 05:06:25 PM »
Law review calculators?  Where?

jenery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 02:02:19 AM »
now i finally have a reason to be glad we had our write-on over spring break.  we found out right before finals, no stressing over the summer.

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 04:35:57 PM »
My school is supposedly going to let us know today, since registration is tomorrow.

Longest...day...ever...

gobig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 07:07:56 PM »
I'm still waiting.... I talked with a 2L friend and she said that they have finished all of their work, meaning the only thing that we are still waiting for is the administration to finish up. Given how notoriously slow the admin is, that means I'll probably know some time between now and the start of next school year  :)

My school is supposedly going to let us know today, since registration is tomorrow.

Longest...day...ever...

Any good news bobo???

Rockules318

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 08:42:32 AM »
I understand.  Ws submitted our write-on comment in mid-may, and we just found out yesterday.  It should be coming soon...

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 08:51:55 AM »
I hope all of you make law review just so that by this time next year you can realize how much work it takes to grade all of those write-ons.  Those people have jobs that they are trying to turn into a full-time gig, plus other editing, plus lives.  I know it sucks to wait, but remember that you would rather this be done correctly than quickly, and those two are usually mutually exclusive.

gobig

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 02:55:07 PM »
I hope all of you make law review just so that by this time next year you can realize how much work it takes to grade all of those write-ons.  Those people have jobs that they are trying to turn into a full-time gig, plus other editing, plus lives. 

To be honest, I don't have a lot of sympathy for them. Why do they have jobs? At least in part because they are on LR. Why are they doing editing? Because they are on LR. And, they have lives? They must be the only ones in law school.

No doubt it must suck to grade a bunch of papers on the same topic all summer long, and I do want it done correctly, but sympathy for the poor law review folks? No way!

You do LR because it looks good on a resume, not because it's fun. I haven't heard anyone say that law review is any fun at all, so it can't be a surprise at this point.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 03:07:03 PM »
You hit the proverbial nail on the head gobig.  I too don't feel sorry for the Law Review members.  Hey, they knew the job involved a lot of work, and if they didn't think they could handle it, they should have thought about that before accepting the invitation. 

The fact of the matter is that with a full staff of editors, a staff many times encompassing 10 or more editors, it should not take 2 months to grade all of the submissions!  Assuming that there are 10 editors, with each one grading one paper per day (which shouldn't be that much of a stretch), that would be 10 papers in one day!  You mean to tell me that with that many editors "diligently" working, they still are unable to grade them in a matter of a few weeks?  Keep in mind that these editors are the best and the brightest, or at least that's what we're led to believe, so why is it that they need so much time to get the job done?  And in the event that there aren't 10 people grading them, then I ask why not?  If there is only a small amount of people (fewer than 5 or so) who are doing the grading, then I counter right back with a suggestion:  have more of the editors and/or members do the grading.

I fully understand that the editors have jobs and lives (and my comments should not be construed as showing disrespect to them or the other Law Review members), but so do the rest of us.  It's called juggling, and notwithstanding law school/Law Review, most people have to do it in order to be successful.