Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black's Legal Dictionary  (Read 765 times)

hotdiggity

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 123
    • View Profile
    • Email
Black's Legal Dictionary
« on: July 12, 2006, 02:10:48 PM »
Is this valuable to have for 1L I did some research and found Black's to pretty much be the authority on legal dictionaries, but should I shell out the 65 bucks for it now???? Anyone using it now?

tix

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 36
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Black's Legal Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 03:03:21 PM »
probably not worth it. check with your school to see if they provide online access to Black's Law Dictionary. also, there'll be copies of it in your school library. nevertheless, i too would like to hear some current students' opinions on this.

Ronald Hyatt

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 295
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Re: Black's Legal Dictionary
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 03:15:07 PM »
Don't waste your money on a law dictionary, unless you want it to decorate your office and make you feel like you are becoming a lawyer.

If you don't understand a term, 90% of the time you can get a definition with a google search. The other 10% of the time you can look up the word on the legal dictionaries available through WestLaw, Lexis, or at your school's law library.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

John Galt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Black's Legal Dictionary
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 03:21:55 PM »
You can get Back's online if your school gives you unlimited Westlaw. Lexis has an online dictionary too, it uses Ballentine's Dictionary. The library will have a copy as well. A hard copy of the dictionary is helpful, but you can get a pocket dictionary for like 8 or 9 bucks. It doesn’t need to be a Black's.

jason1114

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Black's Legal Dictionary
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 04:16:01 PM »
I bought one, but realized afterwards that I probably am not going to need it that much; at least not right now... but I figured that I would eventually need one, so its not like its a waste or anything...

Budlaw

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 530
    • View Profile
Re: Black's Legal Dictionary
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »
Is this valuable to have for 1L I did some research and found Black's to pretty much be the authority on legal dictionaries, but should I shell out the 65 bucks for it now???? Anyone using it now?

Spend the 30 bucks and buy the pocket one. Don't bother with the hard-backed version. It's a lot more convenient than going on westlaw or lexis or even google. You'll find it fairly useful for the first sememster at least but as you become more familiar with the terms you'll need it less and less.

jacy85

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 6859
    • View Profile
Re: Black's Legal Dictionary
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 06:06:56 PM »
The pocket one would probably be a good idea.  I bought the hardcover edition, and while I'm glad I have it and did use it a few times last year, I definitely think the pocket edition would've done just as well.

pinkybella

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1386
    • View Profile
Re: Black's Legal Dictionary
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 06:59:38 PM »
I have both the large hard copy one (gift from co-workers) and the small pocket sized one. I figure I can carry the pocket sized one with me at school/lbrary & I can use the large one at home.

Bobo

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Black's Legal Dictionary
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 09:44:51 PM »
My mom gave me the big leatherbound one as a gift when I started law school.  Currently my TV is propped up on it.  I used to use the pocket edition a lot until I realized it was on westlaw, I don't think I have used it since.  So I would honestly pass, though I do plan on displaying my black leather one in the office some day.

On a side note, I remember asking my property professor about a definition in Black's and she laughed.  She said never refer to blacks and just stick with what the professor defines the term as.  Probably good advice, but then again you never have your professor with you when you are briefing.

kmpnj

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 469
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
Re: Black's Legal Dictionary
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 11:41:16 PM »
I bought the big, black leather bound one from lawbooks for less.  Then, I happened to be in the UPENN bookstore the other day and saw the pocket sized ones.  I thought to myself "Sonuvabitch!"  Especially in light of the fact that I have to figure how I'm going to lug that big ass book, my class binder, laptop, casebook, etc around.  I'll probably get a pocket one when I go to get the textbooks.