Law School Discussion

Campbell Law vs. University of South Carolina

Campbell Law vs. University of South Carolina
« on: July 11, 2006, 02:53:15 PM »
I've been admitted to both Campbell University in North Carolina and the University of South Carolina school of law. Honestly, I have no idea which way to go. I know Campbell is a Tier 4 and USC is a top 100, but there are arguments to be made both ways:

For Campbell:
-They've offered me a $10,000/year scholarship, making the final cost about the same as an in-state public law school
-I will probably end up practicing in North Carolina anyway, and I've heard Campbell is good for NC lawyers
-Campbell has the highest bar passage rate in the state, as they teach to the state bar
-I know a lot of people going there, so there's already a network of people I'm in touch with
-My loans have been approved already and I've arranged for housing at Campbell
-I've already sent $500 worth of non-refundable deposits which go toward my tuition

For USC:
-Higher-ranked
-Probably would give me more opportunity to practice not just in NC, but elsewhere (although I'm not quite sure this is true)
-I live in NC but can become an in-state resident in SC rather easily, so the costs for both law schools may end up close to each other

Does anyone have any advice on this? I got the letter of acceptance from USC on Thursday and have been turning it over in my mind endlessly. I have to make a decision by the beginning of next week, however, so time is short. Lastly, I am waitlisted at Wake Forest University; if I get accepted there, I am going there for sure.

Thanks to anyone with any suggestions!

Re: Campbell Law vs. University of South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 04:49:52 PM »
USC is the only law school in South Carolina.  Even though SC doesn't have a big legal market compared to Georgia, NC, or Florida, people who go to USC tend to get jobs because they are the only law students in SC.

NC has a lot of really good law schools.  Fourth tier can't compete with Duke, UNC, Wake Forest...etc.

So in terms of employment, I would vote USC. 

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 01:17:26 PM »
I went to campbell for undergrad. IAT IS THE MOST BORING PLACE ON EARTH!

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 11:39:26 PM »
USC. Honestly, the NC market is pretty competitive anyway, and USC probably has more name recognition. Also, scholarships are almost always contingent on maintaining a certain GPA or rank. Everyone who has one comes in thinking they will maintain it, and not everyone will maintain it. Good luck on whatever you decide.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 10:08:19 AM »
USC.

And I am NOT a prestige whore.

I think you'll get a lot more opportunities, both during and after LS, in Columbia.