Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Describing Summer Internship on Resume  (Read 518 times)

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Describing Summer Internship on Resume
« on: July 11, 2006, 12:34:44 PM »
I'm working in house at a software company as a 1L Summer.  I was hired as the IP intern, but I really do all sorts of things.  In fact, I've touched a ton of different areas, very broadly.

Anyone have any advice how to succicntly describe this on a resume, or should I just say the old student of all fields, master of none?

BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Describing Summer Internship on Resume
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 08:51:39 PM »
Specific is better because generic doesn't really say anything.  Start with making a list of skills you want to highlight to whoever will be reading the resume. Say legal analysis and strong writing skills.  Then pick a project and illustrate.  Maybe pick a few projects that touched on areas of the law that will be of interest to the employer. 

Here's the except from my resume for my summer job:
 Worked closely with a team of lawyers on an employment discrimination case by researching the law and the record and contributing to strategy discussions.  Wrote a comprehensive memorandum in preparation for a motion for summary judgment.
   Researched and wrote memorandums using anti-trust law, ERISA and the ADA as well as contract law in the context of complex commercial litigation.
   Translated a technical report on coal markets from French to English.

Sure I did a lot more than that, but that references the work I thought was best and a few areas of the law that will be of interest to the employers I will pursue. 

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Describing Summer Internship on Resume
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 08:20:52 AM »
thanks
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern