Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cheap ways to relax before LS starts  (Read 1744 times)

margee

Cheap ways to relax before LS starts
« on: July 10, 2006, 04:09:48 PM »
I'm thinking about taking a short vacation-like-thingy-ma-do-da before school starts.  Any suggestions?  It has to be something super cheap :-\

cozmo

• View Profile
Re: Cheap ways to relax before LS starts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 05:30:47 PM »
define super cheap?

hornian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 06:20:01 PM »
Go to Galveston or Port A Tuesday - Friday. Rates are cheap and the beaches are less crowded.

cozmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 06:38:57 PM »
you could potentially find a 3 day cruise out of galveston for about $400 -- but that may be too much..

where are you from? what parts of texas have you been to?

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 08:37:59 PM »
Cheap is always relative.  I'll start off with some not-so-cheap ones, but that are less than $200/day.

Schlitterbahn - Water Park.  Very nice and located about 1-1.5 hours south of Austin.

Fiesta Texas - Six Flags theme park in San Antonio.  You missed AstroWorld in Houston, they've closed that down.  I think there is still another Six Flags up in Dallas.

Sea World - Sea World in San Antonio.

I've been to all of the above, and they're great.  They're more fun if you can convice a few friends to go with you.

Tubing - I've not done this yet, but I'm sure you can look up details on this.  I hear of folks doing this all the time.  Just put on the sunscreen so you can be tanned for your first day of classes instead of lobster red.

Boating - There are plenty of lakes around on which people boat.  The only problem is finding or knowing someone who owns a boat.  Or you can find someone willing to blow their first year's student loans buying one.

Zilker Botanical Gardens - Free entrance.  It is just a set of walkways with various plants and displays near the downtown Austin area.  You won't spend a whole day, but it is a nice couple of hours.

Otherwise there are the old stand-by generics of computer games, movie marathon (you could spend a whole day each on LotR, Star Wars, or Star Trek).

cozmo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 11:28:53 AM »
I like the weekend in San Antonio idea.  It's a ~3 hour drive from Houston, and ~1.5 hour drive from Austin.

As Felsen suggseted you could do Fiesta Texas, Sea World, and you could also go to the River Walk for good Tex-Mex.

But of course, you would probably need to talk a few friend into going with you..

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 12:37:06 PM »
I'd really like to go to Mexico (stay in Texas and cross the border), but it's just too dangerous.

I've actually not been to Mexico yet.  Here I thought that the border crossings were mostly only dangerous if you were Mexican.  :)

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 11:28:44 AM »
  Friday night we went out and spent $5 a piece, and got about 6 drinks a person. 

Man that's cheap! Although that is good for my wallet it's probably bad for my liver and grades especially since I usually gauge when it's time to go home by how much I've spent and am used to factoring for $5 drinks. I should probably focus on adjusting that idea before I actually head down to 6th street or I'll definitely end up one of those people who leaves LS for Christmas break and you never see them again b/c they flunked out.