Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I think I like this magazine  (Read 762 times)

margee

I think I like this magazine
« on: July 10, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »
I went to the bookstore a couple of days ago, and I found this magazine. 

SEED is a science magazine, but with a cultural perspective. 

I'm only halfway through my first issue but here are a few things that I like about it:

1. It's written at a level where just about anyone with a college degree could read it with ease (no BS in Chemistry necessary!)
2. Very few ads
3. Related to the reason above, the concentration of articles is very high.  There isn't much other stuff to take up space
4. The articles are short and sweet - they don't spend 10 pages delving into the minutia of electrical properties of a hydrogen atom.  They cover the basics needed for understanding the subject of the article, but don't try to cram a year's worth of astrophysics research into one article.

Have you seen this magazine? Do you read it?
Check it out through the link above and let me know what you think.

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: I think I like this magazine
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 01:50:36 PM »
I read through a few articles on their website.  I just wasn't captivated by them.  My UG was in engineering, so I prefer more depth and detail in my science articles.  I felt the writing was a bit amateurish.  Their archives only date back to September 2005, so the magazine is probably less than a year old.  The editors and writers could just need more time to polish their craft.

Yes, if I were called upon to write an article for this magazine, it'd probably be even more amateurish.  I think they have a good start, and if they can keep in print long enough to get the polish, they'll have a decent magazine.

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: I think I like this magazine
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 02:39:03 PM »
I read the "Offensive against AID."  It was an interview, and the interviewer didn't maintain a cohesive set of questions.  It jumps from what a specialty field name means, to a brief mention that the article title refers to using soccer to educate kids about AIDS, to deforestation.

I then read "Dating Books with Biology," which I considered the most interesting read.  I thought the comparison with DNA mutation was a bit stretched.

I only got halfway through the "Why a Large Hadron Collider?" when I found out that the rest of the article was just a bunch of quotes from different people.

I stopped at that point.