Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MySpace Group for UT Law 2009  (Read 3642 times)

margee

Re: MySpace Group for UT Law 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 03:14:49 PM »
... I don't even know what beer pong is....

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 03:52:25 PM »

Woot!  I'm more up to date than Margee is, purely because this was mentioned in the comic Tank McNamara earlier this year.  :)

I have no clue of the details, but from what I gather, you play ping pong, but have pitchers of beer on the table.  If the ball lands in the beer, it must be chugged before play continues.

According to the comic, the official rules call for using water instead of beer, just so nobody can sue them for liability.  I don't know if that's just to make the comic funnier or not.

cozmo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 05:29:16 PM »
it was surely big at Rice..

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 11:50:58 AM »
i'm a mix between Greek-type and frat-daddy then... possibly leaning more toward GReek-type purely b/c of this example:

when playing beer pong and tons of hot girls were around, our house was so serious about beer pong that we usually focused on the game instead of entertaining the girls.  Good thing we usually had to wait for tables (which is when we'd give girls our full attention) -- otherwise they'd probably get bored and leave. :D

HAHA. I had the same experience, except we had multiple tables so sometimes they would leave. D'oh!

I will leave it to my future class-mates to decide whether I am a "Greek-type" or a "frat-daddy."

Also, I plan to have a Beer Pong Tournament at my house as soon as it is built. I will put forth the following rules for consideration:

1. There is no order (i.e. if you have the ball you can shoot). This is a rule that many people argue about, but it keeps the game moving and presents the dilemma of a quick rebuttal shot to avoid the "dual-cup rollback" or trying your luck and waiting to get a good shot off. When playing this way, each team starts with one ball and can shoot at will.

2. "Dual-Cup Rollback" - means if you and your partner get two cups in a row, you get both balls back immediately.

3. When a ball goes in, you must drink before you shoot again with one exception - the quick rebuttal shot to avoid a dual-cup rollback. If you take this quick shot, your beer must be in hand and you must drink it before shooting again. None of this pouring it into one "sipping" cup. In addition, when playing in coed teams, a female may give her beer to a male to drink for her before she shoots again, but the opposite is strictly prohibited.

4. As soon as the ball hits anything (i.e. table top, cup rim, etc) it is fair play - so if you are a ball bouncer, prepare to see your ball swatted away over and over again.

5. Only girls blow ;D If I see a guy lean down and try to blow a ball out of a cup as it spins around the rim, he can expect to be immediately dismissed from my tournament/house/life.

6. Watch them elbows! Be a man/woman and stand well back from the table edge so as not to violate the plane coming up from the table's edge with your elbow. I tend to be a little more lenient with girls leaning over the tables, hehe.

7. Re-racks (i.e. reforming the cups into a new shape). I play 1 per game with 6 cup and 2 per game with 10 cup. You can use the alloted amount whenever and form whatever shape you want; however, you may not advance the cups forward on the table. They will always be reformed as far back as possible.

8. If a cup gets knocked off the table by the ball, it is down and out, period.

9. Ways to end the game:
9a. If opposing team has two cups left and your team hits both in a row, game over, no rebuttals.
9b. If the opposing team has one cup left and your team hit gets two balls in that cup, game over, no rebuttals.
9c. If the opposing team has one cup left and you make 1 cup in and don't have another ball, each member on the opposing team gets to shoot until they miss. (Note: the drinking your beer before shooting rule is briefly dismissed) If the other team hits ALL cups, then both teams retain 1 cup, and the original team gets both balls back.

10. At the end of the game, losing team drinks all beer left on the table.
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »
beer pong without turn-based rules is .... well, unruly and gets out of hand.  It makes the double-hit (rollback, bring-it-back, etc) more difficult to judge and really would lead to arguments, IMO.

True, though in practice it very rarely is a problem. The spectators serve as officials too.

In addition, the main benefit of this is the alleviation of the back-up caused by a slow game going on. This keeps the game moving and the tables turning over teams.
Carlos Cadena Society

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 12:31:36 PM »

Also called beirut, although the rules are slightly different for each. The general rule that is common through all types of the game that I have seen though is that the owner of the house/table decides what the basic rules are for the game (ie: bouncing or no bouncing, blowing the ball out of the cup etc).  Other than that basically you toss a ping pong ball across a table trying to land it in a cup of beer. If you land the ball in the other team's cup they have to drink it. The first team to knock out all of the other team's cups wins.

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 12:33:25 PM »

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 02:12:56 PM »
flip cup is for girls.

jsia.

I concur  ::)

I forsee imminent negative reputation movement
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 04:36:49 PM »
:D whatever, at least we know a real drinking sport when we see it.

Damn it, answer my question from the other thread: Are you a car person? I read somewhere on here that you were into cars. If so, I am big into it too.
Carlos Cadena Society

lil kat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 04:49:32 PM »
you did and so did i actually  :)  the last couple of posts from the "what were your numbers" thread:

Hey Brave, this is terribly random, but I saw in another post that you are into cars. Is that right? I am a total car nut and shadetree mechanic.

Not sure if I'd call myself a nut, but I like my car and other fast cars :D

i'm totally into cars too!  ;D  although i'm sure it's not at the level that ya'll probably are and i wouldn't actually get under the hood to fix one...but i'd def say that i know more than the avg chick (yes, i realize i'm stereotyping).  my hardcore gearheads friends rubbed off on me, plus i've been working on a suspension system for the past year.