Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MySpace Group for UT Law 2009  (Read 3492 times)

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
MySpace Group for UT Law 2009
« on: July 07, 2006, 04:20:18 PM »
I have started a group on for UT Law class of '09 on myspace. The group name is Longhorn Law Class of 2009 and should be able to be found here: http://groups.myspace.com/utlaw2009 You may need to get a MySpace account before joining, not sure, as I was already one of those cliche (i.e. bored at work) people with one :)

BTW, we have something like 70 members already.
Carlos Cadena Society

hornian

• View Profile
Re: MySpace Group for UT Law 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 04:41:11 PM »
Is that the same one that's been posted on here before?

Not that it really matters to me, I categorically refuse to join myspace.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 04:57:10 PM »
generally a bad idea unless you have no problem with potential employers, etc. screening your myspace profile (and i most certainly do ;) )

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 06:01:34 PM »
Is that the same one that's been posted on here before?

Not by me since I joined this forum today, but if so, sorry for the repost! I did post it over at UT Freshlaw.

generally a bad idea unless you have no problem with potential employers, etc. screening your myspace profile (and i most certainly do Wink )

As for being a generally bad idea ... I will have to disagree. I work for the defense industry currently and hold security clearances and this has certainly never been an issue. I suppose if you have something on there that is an issue, that is more your problem than MySpace's.

To each, his own.
Carlos Cadena Society

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 01:58:03 AM »
Yeah, the MySpace area was mentioned around a month ago, as it was created around the same time that we started getting active over here.  I think most of us have MySpace accounts over there just so we could join and lurk a bit.  Some of us prefer chatting and posting over here since we like this message board system a lot better.  I think this is the first actual link to it.  The previous mention said it was there and you could do some group searches to eventually find it.  :)

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 12:17:27 PM »
Some of us prefer chatting and posting over here since we like this message board system a lot better.

Yeah, the message board on MySpace absolutely blows, but it is fun to "lurk." A guilty pleasure, no doubt.
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 07:51:24 PM »
Some of us prefer chatting and posting over here since we like this message board system a lot better.

Yeah, the message board on MySpace absolutely blows, but it is fun to "lurk." A guilty pleasure, no doubt.

Hmm, since I'm a fan of stereotypes and elitism, I'd love some suggestions from anyone as to what type posts on the myspace/lsd/both sites and what types lurks on the myspace/lsd/both sites.  It'll be a game.

Begin.

Have you ever read the blog "Barely Legal?" If not I suggest you do as it is hilarious. As for types, I am: http://barelylegalblog.blogspot.com/2005/04/people-you-meet-at-law-school-7-frat.html
Carlos Cadena Society

pocho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 01:40:24 PM »
I admit I am just moving over from the lurk type to the post type.  After looking at the Frat Guy definition on barely legal, I was compelled to see if my profile existed.  I begrudingly admit I'm a somewhat reformed Jean Shorts Guy.

http://barelylegalblog.blogspot.com/2005/04/people-you-meet-at-law-school-5-jean.html

My wife would never allow me to wear them now, but I did just happen to wear a short-sleeve shirt with a tie within the week, and I am a patent geek.

My guess is most lurkers, like myself, are bored at work but are too scared to try to fraternize with the cool Frat Guys.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 01:50:13 PM »
My guess is most lurkers, like myself, are bored at work but are too scared to try to fraternize with the cool Frat Guys.

There are plenty of patent geeks posting here as well with whom you can fraternize instead of the frat boys if they scare you.

margee

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 02:58:30 PM »
However, I'm inclined to disagree with Margee and say that anybody who is going to UT is actually a nerd; some people just hide it well.

:D

That's entirely possible :D

also,

the guy in a fraternity whose greatest pride is chugging a beer in 2 seconds is a greek-type (by virtue of being in a fraternity) but is not a frat-daddy.  Frat-daddies are a little more slick than that.  Frat-daddies are a subset of greek-types

And at this point, I'm going to have to post my usual disclaimer:
I do not actually believe that stereotypes acurately depict anyone.  They are gross generalizations, typically with exaggerated characteristics. 

And this concludes my stereotyping of our fellow class-mates.  Except us.  We're TOTALLY nerds ;) :D