Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: to 3L patent attorneys to be - A QUESTION!  (Read 1317 times)

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: to 3L patent attorneys to be - A QUESTION!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 11:52:42 AM »
i've heard the same

but i think that the experiences of 2Ls and 3Ls searching for jobs is a more accurate indicator of what the market is actually like

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 12:58:28 PM »
T. Durden,

Ya, to a degree I think you're right - who better to give the opinion of what it's like than people doing.  However, I think we'd agree the recruiting experience is wildly different dependant on your credentials.  I guess I take solace in that hiring partner's quote because that more accurately fits my resume than a phrase like "Top 10% at a T14" :(
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 06:27:24 PM »
I am attending the even in Chicago and also taking the patent bar in August. I have started my search for summer 2007 as well.  I'm totally stressed out about it all :) Anyway, when are you guys going to start mailing out resumes and cover letters to firms not in Chicago or at OCI.   Beginning of fall?  I am not sure when the right time to do this is as my career services isn't great. thanks.
I love my philly phanatic :)

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 06:44:58 PM »
I love how someone is still stalking me on this site, "defaming me" for a completely helpful post.  Pathetic.

Anyway, my opinion is formed only through first hand experience.  I think a lot of times people tell you what you want to hear.  I remember right before I took the LSAT, an IP lawyer told me "law schools take anyone with an engineering degree, because there is so much demand for IP lawyers."  Needless to say, this is completely false.

I happen to know two people who both accepted jobs and Foley & Lardner.  Both were on law review, one was patent bar eligible.  I am not sure if she had taken the patent bar yet, but she got close to $15k higher starting salary than the guy who wasn't patent bar eligible.  Now, I haven't talked to Foley since passing the patent bar, but I sent them a resume for my 1L and 2L summer job search and couldn't even get an interview despite having an ME degree and decent grades.  That would lead me to my prior statement, that big firms typically don't lower standards but instead offer higher salaries.  Take it for what its worth.

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 08:22:19 AM »
I think we're determining that this comes down to the whim of the employers :(
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern