Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Current law students - Describe your 1L schedule(s)  (Read 5705 times)

inthelaw45

• View Profile
Re: Current law students - Describe your 1L schedule(s)
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 12:36:30 PM »
Wow.  Okay, I like school, granted this is after two years of monotonous work in a boring office 10+ hours a day.  It's almost like a vacation (okay not exactly, but I do get to sleep in some days and we do get summer breaks).

But seriously, law school does tend to be a magnet for Type-A psychos.  I was one myself, the first two years of undergrad, and then I realized, it sucked.  I actually did better my last two years of undergrad when I took the classes I liked and enjoyed my work vs. "get the grade".

The same approach works wonders in law school.  I mean, really, what's the worst that can happen?  You fail out?  I doubt it.  So long as you do the work and give a decent effort, the law school will happily collect your tuition money.  Besides, if you fail out, you can still study on your own and take the bar.  I mean, whatever happens, you will not die nor be banished from the practice of law forevermore.  You'll find grading in law school to be somewhat arbitrary anyways.  This means, you may as well enjoy yourself, do the work, and hope for the best.  This is surely a better alternative than busting your social life to pieces studying all night and turning into a freak...only to "arbitrarily" get the same grade as your classmate who went to the bar two nights a week and maintained a life.

I'm not advocating being a law school slacker.  I am advocating doing your best and then LETTING IT GO.  Study reasonably, and try to enjoy class.  If you get called on and don't know what to say, who cares?  Try to be articulate in the fact that you don't know the answer.  Famous people do this all the time.  If you're going to be a lawyer, being able to immediately produce intelligent-sounding BS is a skill you'll need.  Being right isn't as important as sounding like you could be. 

Oh, and DON'T play monday-morning QB with your peers after exams.  It's a waste of time and it's so lame.

jenery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 09:28:25 PM »
i don't know what my class rank was 1L (my school doesn't rank) but i got 6 A's and one B+.  pretty much the same advice as everyone else.   i never briefed cases, but always went to class (did the crossword puzzle throughout Ks 2nd semester) and did the reading (though i just read the case once or twice).  i did reading between classes whenever possible so i had time to go to the gym and have dinner with my husband every night.  i didn't work weekends unless i had a memo due.  treat it like a job as much as possible, until finals, and then study as much as you need to.  i also stayed far away from the library because i didn't like being around all the tweakers.

i think the reason i did so well is that i made a conscious effort to learn exactly what each professor wanted to see on the exam.  first semester i made all my outlines from scratch, then second semester i used old outlines.  the biggest thing is to take as many practice tests (with model answers) as you can.  if the model answers follow a certain format or style, mimic that when you write your exam.  pay attention in class to the professor's opinions and what he/she emphazises and bring that kind of analysis into your exam. 

just like you can learn how to take the LSAT, you can learn how to take your prof's exam, and you should be studying that just as much as you study the substantive law.  keep your focus on what's important (the final) and don't get bogged down in details like case names.  you almost never have to refer to a case by name, and on finals only the very broad details matter (i.e. "just like in the case about the cow who turned out to be barren, this plaintiff...")

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 10:15:25 PM »
5:00 a.m. Wake up leave house by 5:45 a.m., drive 45 min. to catch train, ride train for about one hour.

8 a.m.(ish)Arrive at school, prep for classes, go over cases, etc.

9 a.m. First two classes, 15 min. break-get coffee.

12:00 to 12:30 Lunch Break--Eat on campus.

12:30 p.m. (ish) Last two classes, 15 min. break-get more coffee.

4:00 p.m. Run back to train station

5:30 p.m. Arrive at work (night-time word processor, only 20 hours a week I'm a full-time student).

10:00 (ish) Leave work.

10:45 p.m. Arrive home, study, eat if interested.

Saturday and Sunday were pretty much dedicated to studying, and I would take a day or a half-day off as needed.  Ran every chance I got, or studied outside.  I was 9% at a T4.

My advice:  Avoid a long commute (it sucks), working is recommended because you are networking at the same time (even though it is a pain in the a$$), and like what you are doing (I did and it kept me motivated!!!)

gobig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 12:20:25 AM »
I was 9% at a T4.

seriously, just say top ten.  ;D

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 01:42:39 AM »
Round up, no way!!!

I was conserving characters!!!

::)

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 02:37:33 PM »
5:00 a.m. Wake up leave house by 5:45 a.m., drive 45 min. to catch train, ride train for about one hour.

8 a.m.(ish)Arrive at school, prep for classes, go over cases, etc.

9 a.m. First two classes, 15 min. break-get coffee.

12:00 to 12:30 Lunch Break--Eat on campus.

12:30 p.m. (ish) Last two classes, 15 min. break-get more coffee.

4:00 p.m. Run back to train station

5:30 p.m. Arrive at work (night-time word processor, only 20 hours a week I'm a full-time student).

10:00 (ish) Leave work.

10:45 p.m. Arrive home, study, eat if interested.

Saturday and Sunday were pretty much dedicated to studying, and I would take a day or a half-day off as needed.  Ran every chance I got, or studied outside.  I was 9% at a T4.

My advice:  Avoid a long commute (it sucks), working is recommended because you are networking at the same time (even though it is a pain in the a$$), and like what you are doing (I did and it kept me motivated!!!)

Nice dedication

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 08:46:50 AM »
wow, kudos to you.  I would have shot myself.  Although, I'm probably more likely to be a BigLaw suicide statistic given my short attention span.
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 10:03:00 AM »
This year should be much more enjoyable.  We have moved to within 10 miles of the school and one mile to my work.

I can ride my road bike to both!!! ;D