Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Evening Division  (Read 9891 times)

IONLYKNOWY

Re: Evening Division
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 07:08:06 PM »
Does anyone know what time the orientation for evening students is?

it's either Aug.16 or 17th

dsnutter

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 07:49:39 PM »
I will be keeping my typical work schedule of 7am-5pm while in school. I work about two miles away from campus. For some reason I always thought the PT program was from 5-8pm. I hope it doesn't start at 430.

snobord99

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 09:01:08 PM »
i remember they just offered an earlier option for one of the evening (small) sections so if u can't do it at 430 i don't think you're forced to

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »
Hey everyone, I was an evening student this year (you can tell from my previous posts) so I should be able to answer most of your questions. Contrary to the theme on this board, I LOVED the 4 o'clock class. If you can swing it with work. it is so worth it. LS is really boring, so having to sit through that at 7:30 or 9:00 at night after property or something is horrible! Additionally, you will have class at 5:30 almost every day, so the odds of a class not being scheduled right after (aka allowing you to get out early) is really really slim. I would highly recommend it.

Oh, and as far as schedules go, you can pretty much plan on classes at 5:30-8ish every night. Some nights earlier and some nights later, but generally its not too bad. My first semester I had class M/T/TH from 5:30-7:50 and until 9ish on W.

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 09:23:51 PM »
Does anyone know what time the orientation for evening students is?

it's either Aug.16 or 17th

I answered this in the other thread. Its both days, all day. Prepare to take off the days now because USD probably wont let you out of it.

dsnutter

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 11:25:48 AM »
Are there any secrets to PT success? I know that it is going to be rough being set against other students who will not be working, but is there anything that I can personally do to kick butt?
The thought of law school really scares me, especially since I have not read a book or written a paper since I was in hs...actually, I don't think I actually read or wrote anything then either.

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 11:42:46 AM »
Are there any secrets to PT success? I know that it is going to be rough being set against other students who will not be working, but is there anything that I can personally do to kick butt?
The thought of law school really scares me, especially since I have not read a book or written a paper since I was in hs...actually, I don't think I actually read or wrote anything then either.

I was a PT night student who worked full-time throughout ls.  I'd say the keys are being disciplined and being efficient with your time.  You'll always be tired (generally you'll be completely exhausted) but you've got to learn to push through it.  Take it week by week.  Create a study plan for the upcoming week based on your syllabi and stick to it, e.g. Monday class, Tuesday class, Wednesday brief Torts, Thursday class, Friday brief Contracts, Saturday finish Contract briefing and write paper for Legal Research, Sunday brief Civ Pro, etc.  I generally studied all day Saturday and half day Sunday.  I took Sunday afternoon off to recharge.  It will be overwhelming at first - it's an enormous amount of reading in a short period of time.  You'll think you won't be able to handle it.  I promise.  But stick with it and you'll get the hang of it.  It's not easy but it can be done. And always bear in mind that it will come to an end and when it does, it's worth it.  Best of luck....   

dsnutter

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 02:00:35 PM »
Thanks a lot for the advice. From undergrad, I am used to putting in about 12 hours each day (weekends included) for class/studying/extracirriculars, so I really hope that I can keep that lifestyle going. If I am efficient enough to get half of my Sundays for leisure, I am going to be stoked.

MCVinny

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 01:22:24 AM »
Has anyone else had experience with the 4PM lawyering skills class? I am considering this option because I finish work everyday by 3PM, and I would like to finish classes earlier if possible. Does anyone know if enrolling in this class would allow someone to finish classes earlier every night, or if it just creates gaps in your schedule. Thanks in advance for any responses from current USD students.

dsnutter

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 03:31:15 PM »
I believe it will just create a larger gap between classes...but I do not know for sure. I think someone else told me that?