Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Evening Division  (Read 10254 times)

Law9486

• View Profile
Re: Evening Division
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 10:22:52 AM »
I believe it will just create a larger gap between classes...but I do not know for sure. I think someone else told me that?

This is generally not true. Most likely your classes will start at 5:30 (we had one night where we started at 7) which means that the classes line up perfectly. I wont promise anything, but as I said earlier, if you can do it, then I would suggest it. The other option of having LS at 8:30 at night just stinks - esp because you are not promised that they will line up either (your section could get out of contracts at 7:20 and then have LS at 8:30.)

MCB

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 03:38:12 PM »
Hey everyone.  I was accepted to the PT program, but I'd really like to graduate in three years, and even switch to the day program if possible.  Do you guys know anything about that?  I originally thought I would work full time during school, but my plan now is to do whatever it takes to graduate in three years, including quitting my job.  Is it difficult to switch after the first year?  Can you take an almost full time load in the evening program?
USD 2L

snobord99

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »
just ask to be transferred to the day program as soon as u can...several people did it during orientation last year so i'm assuming u could probably ask now

dsnutter

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 03:44:39 PM »
Hey everyone.  I was accepted to the PT program, but I'd really like to graduate in three years, and even switch to the day program if possible.  Do you guys know anything about that?  I originally thought I would work full time during school, but my plan now is to do whatever it takes to graduate in three years, including quitting my job.  Is it difficult to switch after the first year?  Can you take an almost full time load in the evening program?

Does this mean I have another classmate who will not be working? Darn...

MCB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »

Does this mean I have another classmate who will not be working? Darn...

Awe, well I'm trying to switch to day, so hopefully I won't be any competition for you.   :)

Sno, I've asked them already, but I'm just planning for the worst since it's so last minute.  We'll see...
USD 2L

snobord99

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 04:40:06 PM »
yea...worse come to worse, ask again early at registration/orientation...as i said, several people did it last year and i believe several did it the year before too

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 06:13:36 PM »
The evening program starts at 5:30 Monday through Thursday.  For those of you working, this time is perfect because the reserved parking spots are available for student parking at 5 pm.  For those who choose to do so, there is a 4 pm lawyering skills class available.  If you elect to do the 4 pm class, you will have the 4 pm class for both semesters. 

As far as I know any evening student can switch to the day program after completing their first year.  However, because the evening program is a few classes short of the day program, evening students must take the remaining first year classes in the evening during their second year.  After the first year, any student can take classes at any time, you are just broken down by how many credits you take, evening students take less than 12 credits, day students take at least 12 credits.  However, evening students have priority over the day students for the evening classes.

If you switch to the day program, evening students must make up 10 credits in order to graduate in three years.  This can be broken down in a few ways: (1) take 2-3 credits during summer school and then 15-16 credits during the remaining semesters; (2) petition the dean to allow you to take 17 credits during three of your semesters; (3) take 6 credits from another graduate course (e.g. MBA) during the summer and then 14-15 credits during the remaining semesters. 

Yes, working full time and going to school sucks, but it is doable.  You will spend your weekends doing the following week's reading and completing lawyering skills assignments.  What ever you do, do not fall behind as it is almost impossible to catch up.  Most of the professors understand that some students must work while going to school and will give you at least one weekend to get your assignments done.  That is, they will not assign something on Monday to have you turn in on Wednesday, rather they will assign something on Wednesday to turn in the following Monday.  If they do the former, just ask them to revise the due date when they hand out the assignment. 
3.7ish, 170+