Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school vs. 9 to 5 job...give your opinion  (Read 2918 times)

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: Law school vs. 9 to 5 job...give your opinion
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 01:01:58 AM »
I gotta say I'm really surprised to read these posts.  After two years in law school, my take on it is if you want a BigLaw job, then as a 1L you'll be going hard from about 8AM-9PM all year, and studying most of the day on Saturdays and Sundays too.  If you do that you'll finish pretty high in the class. 

If you don't care, then the 9-5 might work but I still doubt it; I don't know a single person who did that. However, I wasn't at a T-14 so maybe things are different at that level...not all of us score a 170 on the LSAT.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 09:44:15 AM »
I gotta say I'm really surprised to read these posts.  After two years in law school, my take on it is if you want a BigLaw job, then as a 1L you'll be going hard from about 8AM-9PM all year, and studying most of the day on Saturdays and Sundays too.  If you do that you'll finish pretty high in the class. 

Everybody is different and different people take a different amount of time to study. I studied alot, but 81 hours a week of studying? What exactly do you study for that many hours a week.

UVa Bound

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 10:11:28 AM »
After two years in law school, my take on it is if you want a BigLaw job, then as a 1L you'll be going hard from about 8AM-9PM all year, and studying most of the day on Saturdays and Sundays too.

:o

norm012001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2006, 12:28:34 PM »

Everybody is different and different people take a different amount of time to study. I studied alot, but 81 hours a week of studying? What exactly do you study for that many hours a week.

Like I said, from watching full timers at my school, a lot of that time is spent int he the study lounge taking breaks and chatting with friends.  It's dense material, so it's not easy to do for 8 hours a day, but I know that if I had added one class and quit working (which would have made me full time), my schedule would have been much lighter.
3.19/165, 6yrs work experience, EE Master's

Accepted: GWU, GMU, American
Waitlist: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVa
Withdrawn: UNC (withdrew in mid March, tired of waiting)

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2006, 11:53:23 PM »
Yeah nice point, but math won't solve all your problems BUDDY! 

perhaps not.  but self-discipline surely will.  my schedule calls for 8 am - 10 pm with weekends off.  averages out to 12 hour days, less than i'm working now.