Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Societies  (Read 4333 times)

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
Re: Societies
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2006, 04:33:17 PM »
but I balk at the idea that like-minded people would (or should) create ways to intensify their like-mindedness.

This like mindedness that you speak of is in-fact a total illusion. It may look and feel that way when you are a 1st year conforming to trends in an effort to get into a good house, but by 4th year you realize that you are surrounded by a completely heterogenous group of people/personalities with wildly varying goals, etc. All-in, it was an excellent experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Oddly enough, as I think about it, I have never dated a girl seriously that didn't wind up in a sorority or was in a sorority ... but, I digress.

As for the argument about paying for friends - I suppose these people don't realize that we Greeks have mortgages to pay for, insurance to pay for, recruitment costs, national chapters to support, oh yeah, and raging parties to throw for everyone, GDI and Greek alike - all of which cost money. In addition, not all of us went to school in our home states where we knew lots of people from highschool. I moved half way across the country to a school where I knew one person so in retrospect, spending a few bucks a semester to have a place to party and ensuring that I not only got to meet some great guys who are still my best friends to this day, but also a lot of lovely ladies, seems like a great deal to me.

BTW, if anyone noticed that I refer to the years by number and not by Freshman, etc, that's because I went to UVA and for some reason we do everything differently. Maybe we just refuse to be likeminded.
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2006, 04:50:27 PM »
TITCR.  The 'like-mindedness' or whatever you want to call it is really just another GDI excuse/issue.  Once you're there in the house, everyone is just as much their own person (if not more) than the group of independent kids who dress the same, hang out together, etc.

What does TITCR stand for?

Also, what's with this reputation deal? For some reason mine is -1. I have re-read all my posts and deemed them all appropriate and not confrontational... Thing is, I don't even see where I can increment or decrement anyone else's.
Carlos Cadena Society

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2006, 04:56:02 PM »
I'm all for like-minded people associating with one another, but I balk at the idea that like-minded people would (or should) create ways to intensify their like-mindedness.

I'm not sure what you really mean here, mostly because I disagree with how I'm reading it.  I read this to apply to groups such as the NRA, ACLU, AA, political parties, church meetings, etc.  I cannot imagine you having meant that.  Yet groups will form, and by nature of the us-vs-them complex, there will usually follow some sort of elitism or intensifying of the shared aspect that brought them together in the first place.

margee

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2006, 04:58:43 PM »

Also, what's with this reputation deal? For some reason mine is -1. I have re-read all my posts and deemed them all appropriate and not confrontational... Thing is, I don't even see where I can increment or decrement anyone else's.

TITCR = That Is The Credited Response  (see how it plays on the LSAT - clever, don't you think? :D)

One can only give or take reputation points after amassing 50 posts.  I'm guessing someone defamed you because you said something they didn't like about Greek life.

EDIT: There ya go, you're back to zero now  :)

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2006, 04:58:53 PM »
TITCR.  The 'like-mindedness' or whatever you want to call it is really just another GDI excuse/issue.  Once you're there in the house, everyone is just as much their own person (if not more) than the group of independent kids who dress the same, hang out together, etc.

TITCR == This Is The Correct Response

You cannot affect other people's reputation until you hit 50 posts.  Then you can give or take a point of reputation from a person every 3 hours (you ca hit multiple people in that timeframe, just each individual only once).  It really means nothing, but is a way of ticking people off and making them feel paranoid.

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »

TITCR = That Is The Credited Response

One can only give or take reputation points after amassing 50 posts.  I'm guessing someone defamed you because you said something they didn't like about Greek life.

EDIT: There ya go, you're back to zero now  :)

Ah, thanks.  ;D

As a sidenote, I quickly reread all 12 of my posts and realized that there was nothing objectionable about any of them. Clearly someone on this forum is very fragile - that or they fight honesty with some pathetic reputation button. C'est la vie.
Carlos Cadena Society

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2006, 05:20:07 PM »
Tonyp and I had someone(s) who was knocking down our reputation for a while.  You don't necessarily have to do anything to get their attention other than post.  They could have knocked you down for mentioning myspace, or because you're posting on the Texas board, or because they just feel like knocking a point off someone at random.

hornian

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2006, 05:35:48 PM »

Here's to sharing the love.  Positive points for all!  <tosses confetti>
Woo Hoo! Party!

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2006, 05:45:19 PM »
Once you're there in the house, everyone is just as much their own person (if not more) than the group of independent kids who dress the same, hang out together, etc.

I don't disagree with this. The difference is in the organization/institutionalization. A group of friends who are likeminded, dress similarly, think similarly, etc., is not radically different from a fraternity. The difference is in the formal organization and institutionalization of their "friendship" or association with each other. All I said is that I balk at the forces (namely, this formal organization and institutionalization) that intensify the likemindedness.

Felsen, you make a good point -- it isn't just Greeks who do this. The organization and institutionalization of likemindedness applies to political parties, special interest groups, religions, and entire nation-states. And I have to point out that I was NOT saying that I am completely opposed to all of this. When I said I "balk" at it, I only meant that I hesitate or "think twice" over it. I'm taking the metaphor straight from baseball.

And TonyP, you make some good points too -- and I agree: it's all quite fascinating to watch.
"There is no was." -- William Faulkner

University of Texas, Class of '09