Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who is already in Austin?  (Read 3327 times)

margee

Re: Who is already in Austin?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 12:31:30 PM »
My lease date was non-negotiable.  It starts the 25th.  :-\

lil kat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 01:04:52 PM »
I won't be moving down til the week of August 15th.

gotta work?  finishing up travel?  I'm always surprised more people don't arrive earlier.

So my story is that I'm finishing up my grad degree right now in Boston (my defense is actually tomorrow so *hopefully* I'll be done then, unless my advisor decides to tear me to shreds and tell me to rewrite half my thesis or something :-\).  Then I'll be up here and in NYC for the first couple weeks of July wrapping up at work and visiting friends.  Afterwards, I'll drive back to Texas where I'll spend the next month at home in Plano before moving down.

That's probably more detail than you were looking for :P  But anyway, I've already pre-leased a condo in North Campus when I was down for PSD so I figured that a week or so would be enough to get settled before classes start...  Do you think I'll need more time?  (luckily my move-in date is flexible)

BTW, I don't think I've actually introduced myself on here - usually just throw in random comments here and there, but Hello everyone!  You can find me on facebook and I just caved and joined myspace, I'm sure you can figure who I am :)  I'd love to put screen names with real names & faces so feel free to msg me on one of those, thanks!

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 01:17:18 PM »
Good, another techno-geek.  (I mean that only fraternally, of course.)  Welcome.

Yep, it means more familiar faces in the IP classes.  :)

lil kat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 01:39:55 PM »
Good, another techno-geek.  (I mean that only fraternally, of course.)  Welcome.

Yep, it means more familiar faces in the IP classes.  :)

Thanks! :)

...and I thought I was finally going to get away from all the guy-filled engineering classes, haha ;) j/k, I'm looking forward to it - plus, we got a new patent prof!

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 10:08:05 PM »
hey guys,

I'm hoping to transfer in...my app is in their hands as we speak...

Looking for a high quality apt complex that is a short drive in to class - any ideas? (I'm looking at paying 700-900 for a small one bedroom)...

Is the barton creek area too far away?

Any info would be appreciated...

I'm actually still looking for a third roommate for my house, which is a short drive away from the law school and right on the shuttle that drops off and picks up in front of the law school. If you wouldn't mind sharing a place with a law student, a grad student, and two dogs that wold be about half what you mentioned there, send me a PM.

thanks for the offer - and you are correct I'm hoping to be there this fall - but I'm turning 37 over the summer, and I'm kind of used to my own space...

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 09:24:16 AM »
Yes, yes, good.  All of you should follow the official line of bussing, biking, and walking to school.  It allows me to be the rebel and drive my car to get a good parking spot.  Considering that I'd have to drive 15 minutes to get to a bus stop that has hourly pick ups, I feel myself to be one of those deserving folks who should get to park in the garages.  :)  I'll even park in Manor if I have to, though I'd prefer to be lazy and park in San Jacinto.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 10:38:33 AM »
Yes, yes, good.  All of you should follow the official line of bussing, biking, and walking to school.  It allows me to be the rebel and drive my car to get a good parking spot.  Considering that I'd have to drive 15 minutes to get to a bus stop that has hourly pick ups, I feel myself to be one of those deserving folks who should get to park in the garages.  :)  I'll even park in Manor if I have to, though I'd prefer to be lazy and park in San Jacinto.

You'll be stuck in Manor for at least the fall, unless you were on the ball and have already purchased a summer pass in Manor.  SJG only takes transfers in...

I'll be on the ball August 1st, when the summer pass gets its last pro-rated discounting.  Transfers can still be requested up through around Aug. 4th.  I believe it is then done via a lottery system if there are too many requests for transfers, so I won't be punished by waiting till the last possible minute.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 12:01:57 PM »
The discussion on the UT boards is that you cannot buy a permit directly into San Jacinto.  You must buy one somewhere else for a semester, and then transfer into San Jacinto.  So if you wait till Aug 25 to buy the Manor one when sales open for Fall, you can immediately renew for Spring and request a transfer, which won't happen until Spring semester.

If you buy a Summer pass, and renew and request a transfer before renewals are done, you may get transferred for the Fall semester.

Edit:
Of course, this is being said by the guy who was clueless on societies the other day.  So don't rely on me too much.  :)
http://www.utexas.edu/parking/parking/fallStudentPermit.htm

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 01:32:56 PM »
You might be right -- it's been a while since I considered the parking pass, so things probably got jumbled in my memory (too many d**mn beers)

Keep on drinking, keep on drinking.  If enough of my classmates drink a lot, it'll mean the difference between top 25% and top 10%.  ;)

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 02:44:48 PM »
I'll have you know that I did quite fine for myself in ugrad while drinking 3-4 times a week (on average), and that I'm cutting it down to 1-2 times a week for law school.  Beware of the closet intellectuals disguised as drunken Greeks!

Does this mean you're coming out of the closet, Brave?