Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: laptop docking stations  (Read 842 times)

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
laptop docking stations
« on: June 26, 2006, 03:57:36 PM »
does anyone use a docking station? 

how does it effect the performance of you notebook? 

i have a hp notebook and would probably have to get the generic hp docking station, and didnt know how that would negatively effect the performance of my notebook. 

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: laptop docking stations
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 04:03:26 PM »
I was thinking about getting one of these, but decided against it.  It doesn't affect the performance of your laptop at all.  It will definately take up desk space, cost alot, and make you buy a monitor.  My advice could just be to buy some nice speakers and plug them in when you want to rock out.
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

jdmaxey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 04:08:42 PM »
Delta is right, it doesn't affect the performance of your laptop at all.

However, there is another option where you wouldn't need to buy another monitor. I use a Kensington docking station and I love it. Makes packing up and leaving simple and yet gives me the desktop feel when I'm at home. K33239 is the model number.

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 05:16:34 PM »
Delta is right, it doesn't affect the performance of your laptop at all.

However, there is another option where you wouldn't need to buy another monitor. I use a Kensington docking station and I love it. Makes packing up and leaving simple and yet gives me the desktop feel when I'm at home. K33239 is the model number.

i saw one like this at circuit city and the guy told me that using it would definately affect the performance of my laptop.

when you use yours do you have a monitor/printer/speakers/etc. plugged in through your docking station?  im not like a big gamer or anything so pretty much my usage of the computer will be Word, Internet surfing and research.  i just dont want to spend the money and have it be so slow that the picture on the monitor moves in like slow motion but i would prefer to use my larger monitor and full size mouse and keyboard while im at my place.

jdmaxey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 07:45:11 PM »
Brewskies: I'm not trying to be mean to the guy at Circuit City but he's wrong. Trust me, the docking station has no effect on the performance of the actual laptop. I'm a computer engineer with 20 years experience. They probably give those kids that come into Circuit City some training, but I doubt it's really that in depth.

I'm like you, just MS Word, Internet and generic use of my system. When you use the docking station it would have all the additions attached to it, not your laptop. The only connection to your laptop is the power cord and a USB cable to the dicking station. The Kensington station allows you to use the monitor from your laptop so there's no need to buy a seperate one. The printer, keyboard and mouse all attach to the docking station. If you already have a second monitor you can use it to have a dual monitor system. I did that and it's pretty cool.

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 08:48:41 AM »
Haha, I'll defer to you - I'm a computer engineer, but I only have 5 years experience ;)

Unless you count life, then I've got 24 :)
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

jdmaxey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 11:23:03 AM »
Haha, I'll defer to you - I'm a computer engineer, but I only have 5 years experience ;)

Unless you count life, then I've got 24 :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off like an arrogant ass. >:( I was just trying to make a point that the young men/women working at Circuit City might not know everything.

I do want to add one disclaimer. There may be some configuration of docking station out there that could affect the speed and efficiency of your laptop. I just have never seen or worked with them. That's probably becuase any docking station that reduced the operation of your laptop wouldn't enjoy much commercial success.

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 11:38:36 AM »
No worries, I wasn't bothered.  What did you do before going to law school?
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

jdmaxey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »
I did developmental work for small businesses. Mainly taking their ideas and turning them into prototypes so they could do the marketing and manufacturing. I did a lot of embedded uC work.