Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Have you ever cheated on your significant other? (Includes sex, kissing, heavy petting)  

Never cheated
 19 (57.6%)
Once-and I regret it
 6 (18.2%)
Cheated a few times
 5 (15.2%)
Dabble every now & then
 1 (3%)
Whenever the opportunity presents itself
 2 (6.1%)
Habitual cheater-actively seek out others to do it with
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Getting paid to LSD  (Read 857 times)

margee

Getting paid to LSD
« on: June 26, 2006, 02:46:52 PM »
hmmm?

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: Getting paid to LSD
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 03:01:50 PM »
He posts at work, but claims it isn't on the clock since he does billable hours separately than the number of hours at work.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 03:20:53 PM »
I maintain that your situation is no different than any other salaried person, Tony.  You are at work and you are posting.  Just because you keep track of billable hours does not negate the fact that you could have provided more worth to your employer by "working" instead of posting.

Now, I am presuming a bit much, namely that you really are salaried.  If you are paid hourly, which is tracked byyour billable hours and not presence in the office, then the poll is flawed for you.

Either way, you are correct that the poll is flawed, it is just not necessarily flawed for you.  :)

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 03:39:33 PM »
I maintain that your situation is no different than any other salaried person, Tony.  You are at work and you are posting.  Just because you keep track of billable hours does not negate the fact that you could have provided more worth to your employer by "working" instead of posting.

Now, I am presuming a bit much, namely that you really are salaried.  If you are paid hourly, which is tracked byyour billable hours and not presence in the office, then the poll is flawed for you.

Either way, you are correct that the poll is flawed, it is just not necessarily flawed for you.  :)

I dissent.  Though I am salaried, my performance is measured by actual billing relative to a standard, and thus what I do produce as opposed to what I could have produced.  I argue that this is substantially different from the conventional salary model in which an employer owns your time at work, not your productivity while at work (assuming, often erroneously, that these are identical).

So your salary fluxuates with performance, you're saying?

That's pretty similar to what I heard.  I actually tried placing it into an actual work environment.  What I heard is:
"Every 3 months my boss sits down and does a performance review.  Most of that is based on the number of hours I bill.  My salary is then adjusted according to that."
Which isn't any different than any other salaried job, except the availability and extreme reliance upon a single metric.  Where I work, the metrics are just more varied and not as easily tracked as a straight hours worked/billed.