Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Work and Vacations  (Read 1623 times)

caligal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Summer Work and Vacations
« on: June 23, 2006, 07:24:45 PM »
hey there...0L here wondering about the timing for summer jobs.  My school will end mid-May and begin again end of August.  When you get a summer job as a 1L does it generally go right from the end of classes to the beginning of 2nd year or is there often a break of a week or so on either side?  just wondering if a vacation with the family would be at all possible or if i should just forget all of that for the next 3 years.

thanks!

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Work and Vacations
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 01:57:23 PM »
Depends on your job. Usually you can negotiate when you will start and thus include some time for vacation. My job is unusual because I work for the school's clinic and can vacation whenever/as much as I want.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 02:18:08 PM »
Nope.  They make you sign a contract.  No vacations.  If you take one, you are blackballed in the industry.

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 08:49:02 PM »
It will depend on what kind of work you are doing. I know a guy working for a firm who is taking a short vacation. And of course, RAs and the like can almost always arrange time with family.

bossfan2

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 05:40:48 PM »
Ok, it's Friday so my BS filter is tired--are you serious when you say that vacations are not negotiable and that one would be blackballed for wanting to start a job a week or two after school ends?  I was assuming that my summer job would allow for a tiny break after finals...am I crazy?

I don't want to promise my girlfriend that I'll get a vacation when I definitely won't...yikes!

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 06:35:45 PM »
You will have plenty of time for a week vacation or so - you just won't know whether that week will come in May or August until you figure out who you are working for and when their prgram runs.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 10:27:36 PM »
If you do have something planned, don't bring it up until you have an offer in hand.  I'm getting married next Memorial day, and unfortunately that's going to be a month into some firm's programs.  I probably won't be mentioning that I can't start until June until I have an offer, as once a Firm decides they want you, they'll be more likely to negotiate the start date (from what I've been told).

One thing that may help is to check if the firm accepts/allows split summers.  They likely have a more flexible summer program.