Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 5%  (Read 2712 times)

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5%
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 08:15:36 PM »
Finally, I'm done with this arduous write-on submission.  Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to find out whether you've made it or not? Knowing law school, it will probably take 2 months...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 10:32:33 PM »
Totally depends on the school.  For me, it's dependant on when grades got submitted, and how long it took the members to grade the submissions.

If you're friends with a 3L that's on LR, you could ask how long it took them last year to find out.  Or ask a few classmates.  You are in law school, after all, and the rumor mill is always churning away.  You can always find someone who heard from so-and-so that someone told their room mate taht it took 2 months to hear.   ;)

uma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 04:36:50 AM »

You graded onto Law Review, Jacy? I thought you said in an earlier thread that you had entered the write-on competition? The competition at my school ends on Sunday, and I honestly don't know why I'm even bothering entering; cite-checking and proofreading other people's work doesn't exactly sound an interesting pastime.

;)

;)

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 05:19:47 PM »
J D, you sound like you are at Illinois.
Air Force JAG Corps

gobig

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 05:42:56 PM »
I found out today that I've gotten a dean's scholarship for this year and renewable for next year as well. Now I get the fun job of saying I don't want the loans I've applied for  ;D

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 06:37:06 PM »
J D, you sound like you are at Illinois.

Nope, BU.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

homosexual congress

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 06:50:47 PM »

Good news is going around today. I also made roughly the top 5% at my school, and while its not official until I get the phone call, graded on to law review.

I hope you were as happy as I was, and congrats!

Also, I second all the advice you gave. Working hard and working steady is the way to go.  Cramming doesn't work. If you are diligent, you can take reasonable breaks when you need to (sick, tired, etc), and try your best to stay current so you can focus solely on exam prep.  Different people use different techniques, and finding what works best for you (as opposed to doing what everyone else says they're doing) is the way to go. I know EVERYONE says that, but its really the only advice that's applicable to everyone.

Jacy, do you think you'll feel this "change in status" that is mentioned here,

The institutional structure does not, however, allow students to continue to suffer privately. Instead, the results of the Law Review competition spread like wildfire as soon as classes reconvene in the fall. Those students who "made it" experience a palpable change in status, a result of the significance attached to law review membership in the legal community. Those students who do not make it, although not obviously penalized or treated with overt disrespect, must now reckon with the fact that they are not among those classmates to receive the positive reinforcement from professors and classmates that accompanies Law Review membership -- and in public, no less. Not only is this failure experienced publicly as a stigma of the discredited, but for many students it follows several months of silently carrying the knowledge of a discreditable stigma and fearing its exposure. The determination of Law Review membership takes on such significance precisely because of this timing -- the publicizing of who made it is experienced as the "outing" of the feelings of inadequacy that those with an unremarkable exam performance had kept quiet for so long.

If all Jews are bankers, then how can they be Communists too?

weedlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 03:32:11 AM »
I do not think jacy85 made law review ... i mean, look at Butlaw, he jlsut made the Dean's List and its confidence has gone up enough to take himself seriously .. if jacy would have made Law Review she would not even psot here anymore ..

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 07:04:18 AM »
Oh, you're right.  My posting here is completely indicative of whether or not I got on law review.  You caught me out.  I feel ashamed.    :'(

::) ::)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 08:54:40 AM »
I do not think jacy85 made law review ... i mean, look at Butlaw, he jlsut made the Dean's List and its confidence has gone up enough to take himself seriously .. if jacy would have made Law Review she would not even psot here anymore ..
Oh please.  This is the type of thing that makes me not want to do Law Review.  The idea that as soon as you get on, everyone turns into ulta-serious, stick-up-your-ass, super-professional jerks who think LR and their work on it is sooo important that they wouldn't even continue to visit a forum they like.

Jacy, congrats.  I made the top 10%, and had totally written off law review.  Now I found out that I graded on, so I have a tough decision to make.  I'm already working with a prof this year because of my scholarship, although I would be helping him or her write something, not them helping me, and with LR it could go both ways.  I just have such a hard time doing something that only helps with your resume.  I have a few people to talk to about law review and some of the other benefits before I decide.  I've heard though I would be the first in a while to turn it down if I did though.  There's been quite a bit of peer pressure.