Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school weight  (Read 1354 times)

dankeshoen

• View Profile
Law school weight
« on: June 23, 2006, 01:31:15 PM »
I am considering transferring schools, but am unsure about my chances, especially as I am currently at a T3.

I was waitlisted at two T14s when I applied last year, did not get in, and subsequently ended up at my "safety" school, a T3, with scholarships.  My undergrad gpa likely kept me out of the T14 (3.35, but at a top 15 school).

My relavent statistics: LSAT 170; law school gpa: 3.85; class rank: 3/170; undergrad gpa: 3.35

I finished out with straight A's my spring semester.  What are my chances at transferring/how much is being at a T3 going to hurt me?  I am pretty sure I could get into a top 25, should I go for top 10? Any chance at all of the top 5?

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law school weight
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 01:52:30 PM »
170 LSAT and a 3.85 GPA and you are in a T3 law school???

Waitlists or not, you easily should have been in a top-25 program. What the hell were you thinking?

And with that rank, you'll crack the Top-14. Top 5 are plausible.
Air Force JAG Corps

dankeshoen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 02:00:33 PM »
3.85 was my first year law school grades, undergrad was 3.35.

I was accepted to a T25, but really wanted to get into the T14s.  Unfortunately I gambled because I did not want to drop the $1000 deposit if I ended up being accepted to one of the T14s, and so ended up at the T3 (thank you deposit waiver).

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 02:29:50 PM »
i think u have a great shot at alot of top schools.  i have read a few websites like duke and michigan and i think they r within your reach. just be sure to apply to 5 or so different schools. i think that if u want to u can get into a top ten. good luck. hopefully i will be in your shoes next year
Attending: OU

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 03:49:59 PM »
You probably have a good shot at most law schools, considering your LSAT and 1L GPA. I think applying to 5 is a good call, maybe 3 top 14, 1 top 25 and 1 top 50.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 08:25:05 PM »
Just do anything you want. You have a great chance of getting into a rich school.

rpniner36

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 11:55:14 PM »
dankeshoen, I am also at a T3 and I was just accepted at George Washington as a transfer student.  Your law school numbers are very impressive and better than what I had.  I think you have a great chance.  I know you may be tempted to stay because of scholarship money, but from what some of my professors have told me, getting into one of those top programs is just not  something you can pass up.  I would definitely give it a try and I wish you luck