Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Outliner 4.0 VS OneNote  (Read 4079 times)

ajrobin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Outliner 4.0 VS OneNote
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 02:36:04 PM »
I think you can get one note for mac as well

>you have to download a seperate installer for SP2.  It's about 30 megs, so it's not too bad, especially off the microsoft site.

I just got a Mac, and I am not very familiar with everything yet.  So, you are telling me to go to microsoft and download SP2 then OneNote? 

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 02:36:16 PM »
I was able to get it for free, but I wouldn't pay $50-100 bucks or anything for it.  Nothing is necessary.  Sure, you can use word, but if one note makes my life easier and it didn't cost me anything than so be it.
Attending GW in Fall '06

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 04:39:02 PM »
I think you can get one note for mac as well

>you have to download a seperate installer for SP2.  It's about 30 megs, so it's not too bad, especially off the microsoft site.

I just got a Mac, and I am not very familiar with everything yet.  So, you are telling me to go to microsoft and download SP2 then OneNote? 

If you have a mac, don't worry about SP2. Sp2 is service pack 2, as in XP service pack 2.  I can't imagine that the same updates would apply to the Mac version.  I'm not sure what it's been like in recent history, but in the past, microsoft products for Macs were always a bit less functional (I.E. one step behind) the same programs for the PC. 
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 06:17:45 PM »
I don't know of any manual.  I just played around and figured it out.

I set mine up this way:  I had a folder/file (the ones on top) for each course (Torts, Ks, etc), then a tab for each class.  I named my tab by the subject/assignment, not the date.  Most of my friends said they wished they'd named their word file notes by subjects, as the dates didn't help you find what topic you were looking for.  I initially had a sub-section for notes, briefs, and lecture notes, but then I found that taking detailed notes from the book and then adding in things from lecture here and there was more efficient and helpful.  I ended up with just one tab/section per lecture.

Finally, I used the note flags, and flagged all my case titles, so I could come up with a list of cases at the end, and ensure I put them in my outline when necessary.  It helped me check other students' outlines and ensure I didn't miss any of the cases my class talked about.  This was especially helpful in courses like Con law and Civ Pro, where the cases can be very, very important, and not just the rule of law.

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 09:21:52 PM »
Hey I just downloaded the OneNote trial version... it seems pretty nice. I like the way it is more graphic oriented than the Outliner 4.0 demo.

I also like the ability to flag notes and build an index of the flags, although I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to do that.

I do have one question...

I know you can have tabs and sub-tabs. Is it possible to have further sub pages or is it limited to two levels?
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 09:32:07 PM »
I think its limited to 2 levels

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 11:26:05 PM »
Just to clear some confusion on my part - Aren't the tabs talked of here called "sections" within Onenote - each section having pages and subpages?

I was thinking of having a folder for each class with separate sections for class notes and reading assignments/outlines.

Whatdayya think?

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 11:30:32 PM »
Just to clear some confusion on my part - Aren't the tabs talked of here called "sections" within Onenote - each section having pages and subpages?

I was thinking of having a folder for each class with separate sections for class notes and reading assignments/outlines.

Whatdayya think?

Oingo

Yeah, probably.  I haven't looked at the program in about two months since I finished school.

Looking at it now, I had a folder for each class, and a section for the syllabus (so I always had it with me), notes (just one; I took detailed book notes and then filled in/added to it in lecutre) and outlines.  In my notes section, I had a page for each assignment.

kez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 06:14:45 AM »
Are these prgrams really neccessary?  Also, does anyone know of any software like this for Mac?

I think Mac has OmniOutliner, the standard version comes included with the computer.

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2006, 05:25:14 PM »
After playing with this, I do believe I like it a lot better than Outliner...

Also, I downloaded a beta for OneNote 2007...it's a lot better, i.e. can draw tables, graphs, charts, etc.

So I am downloading the free academic 180 day trial of OneNote 2003, and by the time it expires, 2007 will be out for retail purchase... :)

Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante