Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Outliner 4.0 VS OneNote  (Read 4300 times)

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Outliner 4.0 VS OneNote
« on: June 23, 2006, 01:38:13 AM »
I know OneNote seems to be the overwhelming majority from the posts I have read... just wondering if anyone has used Storelaw's Outliner 4.0 and had any input? I am kinda leaning towards it, simply because it is law school focused and has the ability to link to cases, etc., directly...

Anyone have any sage wisdom regarding the two programs?
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Outliner 4.0 VS OneNote
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 07:05:51 AM »
The new version of OneNote (not sure when it's coming out) will have a feature so you can link things together throughout your notebook. 

I'm not sure if this is related to what you're talking about w/ linking cases or not.  I've never used Storelaw, and I have yet to see another law student using it.  I'm not sure if its because the program is crappy, or if no one knows about it or what.  For all I know, Storelaw could be great.  That being said, I use OneNote, and I love it.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 07:21:01 AM »
Jacy, I just grabbed one note recently and I was wondering if you know of any type of "manual" out there explaining the many different functions, etc....?
Attending GW in Fall '06

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 10:29:11 AM »
Very interested in obtaining one too. I have seen several books on Amazon - it is hard to tell if they are crap or not.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

wardwilliams

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 10:45:04 AM »
Jacy, I just grabbed one note recently and I was wondering if you know of any type of "manual" out there explaining the many different functions, etc....?

Did you guys try any of these "courses" I haven't yet so I don't know how useful they are.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/CR010565801033.aspx

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 11:58:01 AM »
I've heard that the tutorial books for one note are kind of lacking for law students.  I've heard that they describe the features, but the descriptions don't really help.  I've been fumbling around in OneNote a bit with law school in mind and have come up with ideas of how I can potentially use it regarding law school.  That being said, I recc. you check to see if your copy of One note is up to date.  There's a link under the 'help' file to check for updates.  Make sure you have One Note SP2 installed.  The ability to title your subpages seems like it would be really useful.
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 12:12:57 PM »
Yeah, I saw the SP2 on their website.  If I go to "check for updates" right in one note, will it automatically install SP2 or do I have to download it seperately?
Attending GW in Fall '06

ajrobin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 01:48:48 PM »
Are these prgrams really neccessary?  Also, does anyone know of any software like this for Mac?

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 01:51:06 PM »
I think you can get one note for mac as well

>you have to download a seperate installer for SP2.  It's about 30 megs, so it's not too bad, especially off the microsoft site.
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

Frappe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 02:05:09 PM »
I used StoreLaw for a little while, then Word, and then finally OneNote. OneNote is awesome because you can really organize your notes, outlines, etc. all in one.  Storelaw just didn't have enough features that I could really make use of.  My vote is for OneNote.   Also, check with your campus bookstores because I got the student version of OneNote for like $20 and it was well worth it.