Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: San Diego city council votes to ban smoking at beaches and parks  (Read 1229 times)

Atossa

• View Profile
Re: San Diego city council votes to ban smoking at beaches and parks
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 06:22:08 PM »
AMEN! They want to spend $35,000 on putting up no smoking signs. How about some ashtrays instead? Urgh.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 06:48:13 PM »
i didn't expect this one to turn into a conversation about human nature and the way people interact in society.  it's not that complicated. 

You must be kidding me! You want to have a conversation about the law in which concerns about human nature and the way people generally conduct themselves in the current social order are completely removed from the equation. Good luck with that. Law doesn't exist in a vacuum. Human affairs should never be looked upon (especially by budding lawyers such as yourselves) as something that merely muddy up the waters of the legal sea. In fact, understanding the social, psychological, and economic dynamics (all of which, I may add, are human endeavors) prevalent in which ever legal system one happens to be analyzing is fundamental to fleshing out a non-rudimentary conception of the law.

mynameismud

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 08:02:31 PM »
i didn't expect this one to turn into a conversation about human nature and the way people interact in society.  it's not that complicated. 

You must be kinding me! You want to have a conversation about the law in which concerns about human nature and the way people generally conduct themselves in the current social order are completely removed from the equation. Good luck with that. Law doesn't exist in a vacuum. Human affairs should never be looked upon (especially by budding lawyers such as yourselves) as something that merely muddy up the waters of the legal sea. In fact, understanding the social, psychological, and economic dynamics (all of which, I may add, are human endeavors) prevalent in which ever legal system one happens to be analyzing is fundamental to fleshing out a non-rudimentary conception of the law.

what a feminine hygiene product.  have fun discussing the muddying of the waters of the legal sea, and the social, psychological, and economic dynamics that you consider "fundamental to fleshing out a non-rudimentary conception," while the rest of us discuss the realities of a proposal's positives and negatives.  christ, go talk to the mirror if you just want to hear yourself talk, and come back and lecture us after you finish your first year of law school.  talk about verbal diarrheah.

maybe after you get through your first year, you'll understand that

AMEN! They want to spend $35,000 on putting up no smoking signs. How about some ashtrays instead? Urgh.
  Thanks for making a valid point that actually contributes to the conversation, atossa.  next they'll be telling us we can't have a beer on our beach on the fourth of july.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 01:46:26 AM »
You're right I am a feminine hygiene product. You're also correct in noting that I haven't finished my first year of law school, or even started to be precise. That fact alone, however, doesn't preclude me from asserting my opinion on this board. If I am wrong in my assumptions, and I very well may be, instruct me on where and how I went wrong. The personal insults get us nowhere fast. When can, I think--and certainly hope, agree to disagree in a civilized manner; we are the future generation of legal minds in America after all. A bit of professional courtesy seems to be in order. Anyway, take care.   

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 10:02:21 PM »
Hi --- I live in San Diego also and am actually friends with one of the city council members. I should have given him copies of some of your discussion points before the vote.

I a reformed smoker...quit in 1987...long time ago.

I have to say that going to the beach or parks with kids and babies is difficult because kids/babies pick up the cigarette butts that are almost everywhere littered on the ground. Yuck!

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

AmicThisDOTcom

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legal humor for all legal professionals!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 01:30:31 AM »
I think these smoking bans have gotten completely out of hand and, in some instances, are unConstitutional.
I'm just a law machine, And I won't work for nobody but you!
http://www.cafepress.com/amicthis/2346340

Courtroom Casanova
http://www.cafepress.com/amicthis/2364671

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

Greeting cards, mugs, tee-shirts, mousepads, and so much more, designed specifically for legal folk.

opensociety

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 06:49:34 AM »
Awesome! I hate smoking and smokers since I parted with my prostate because of smoking.