Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disturbing. - salaries drop from 04 to 05  (Read 2238 times)

proletariat

• View Profile
Disturbing. - salaries drop from 04 to 05
« on: June 20, 2006, 08:28:22 PM »
I have received two salary data sheets from Widener Harrisburg during the application / admissions process. 
2004 Priv. Pract. Salary:
Range 42.5k - 90k
Mean 61875
Median 57500

2005 Priv. Pract. Salary:
Range 40k - 80k
Mean 54940
Median 48500

The only redeeming factor is that in 2004 there were 92 graduates v/s 149 graduates in 2005.  This leads me to believe that less qualified people are being admitted to boost revenue.  However, the top salary shouldn't vary by 10k!  I hope this trend doesn't continue.

holler21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Disturbing. - salaries drop from 04 to 05
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 11:06:20 AM »
That is interesting but don't get too caught up in those numbers.  Remember that it's possible that not everyone completes and sends in those surveys, so there may be some procedural statistical error in that regard.  Also, the top salaries are most likely going somewhere like NYC, Philly, etc.  It's possible that more graduates are staying locally, where money stretches a little further than it does in the big cities.  Just a thought, but thanks for passing that along.  Hopefully this trend is reversed very soon.  Do we know when the 2006 stats are released?

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 05:22:24 PM »
I hate to say it, but it's pretty much supply and demand out there right now.  I know a couple lawyers who graduated from Rutgers that are making around 40k. Smart kids, one of which graduated with honors.  The rule of thumb about those surveys is that people who are really happy with their pay and people who are really UNhappy with their pay tend to send them in.  People who don't care, or people who realize their first job is a stepping stone usually just ignore it.
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

Kazzzzzzzzaaam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 02:57:45 PM »
Its all about grades, and networking, and location.  Widener, DE is prime for the highly lucrative Wilmington market, whereas Widener HB is similar to Albany in that its a good school, with great opportunities, but not for the high dollar (or high stress/hours!) jobs that are the most "desirable/prestigious"  Don't let it bum you out, take the opportunity to explore what you may want to do with your options, and capitalize.