Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law firm clerkship question  (Read 1367 times)

mstiger

• View Profile
Law firm clerkship question
« on: June 20, 2006, 03:59:03 PM »
I am clerking with a law firm this summer and was wondering whether it would appropriate to refer potential clients to the firm?

My mother works as a personal banker and one of her clients needs a living trust drawn up and asked my mom for a reference to an attorney since she's new in the area.  My mom asked me about it. I know we have attorneys who handle such cases where I work, but was not sure if it would be appropriate to refer the client to the firm or talk to an attorney in the firm about it?  What do you think?

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law firm clerkship question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 04:27:51 PM »
Unequivocally yes.  Firms don't just hire people because they might be good at researching or writing briefs.  They hire people to bring in business, and that is what you would be doing.  I would go to an associate you like that does trust work and let them get the credit for originating the business - they will be forever grateful to you and they will do a really good job for the client.

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 10:16:27 PM »
agreed 100%.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 11:03:06 PM »
Absolutely.  As long as you pick a decent associate to recommend- word will get out that you were the reason the client walked in the door and this will be a very positive thing.