Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how much drinking?  (Read 1257 times)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: how much drinking?
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 06:53:42 AM »
Very well said, Jacy.  Really, I thought this go-with-the-crowd mentality fizzled out in high school:  apparently, I was wrong.
Law school can be worse than high school -- in some aspects, think junior high.

Personally, I ignore the herd aspects, but I think it can be strong for some.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 06:58:29 AM »
...and for Jacy85 and unlvrjchick, why do you assume that law students only go out drinking a lot because they feel like they should be doing what everybody else does? Did it ever occur to you that some people actually enjoy going out and getting loaded? Also, why are people that drink when they want to release stress 'stupid?' It's funny, the word stupid comes to mind for me when I think about people who are self-righteous and feel the need to judge the intelligence of others based on personal choices that don't, at least in and of themselves, harm other people.

It's one thing to go out because you enjoy it.  Many of my classmates did.  I don't have a problem with that.  It's just a different choice than my own.  Not everyone makes that choice, however.  I've seen many of my classmates go along with the herd to the bar just because they're "supposed to."  I don't consider that making a choice, and it's behavior that belongs in high school/junior high.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 07:09:10 AM »
That's completely fair and absolutely true, I'm just not sure we can necessarily attribute this motive to the O.P. without more information.

I can imagine that people who enjoy their drinking habits would like to know if they can continue.  My advice would be to go to some social events/ bar reviews initially with the thought of moderation in mind, just so you can meet people.  A few months in you'll figure out how much free time you have and you can determine then how you'd like to spend it- drinking, knitting, whatever.  That being said, this will be harder than undergrad, so it would be logical to assume that less drinking might be helpful.

Italian2L

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 08:45:45 AM »
...and for Jacy85 and unlvrjchick, why do you assume that law students only go out drinking a lot because they feel like they should be doing what everybody else does? Did it ever occur to you that some people actually enjoy going out and getting loaded? Also, why are people that drink when they want to release stress 'stupid?' It's funny, the word stupid comes to mind for me when I think about people who are self-righteous and feel the need to judge the intelligence of others based on personal choices that don't, at least in and of themselves, harm other people.

It's one thing to go out because you enjoy it.  Many of my classmates did.  I don't have a problem with that.  It's just a different choice than my own.  Not everyone makes that choice, however.  I've seen many of my classmates go along with the herd to the bar just because they're "supposed to."  I don't consider that making a choice, and it's behavior that belongs in high school/junior high.

Yeah, my post was really aimed at unlvrjchick to be honest. The people you mention certainly do exist and I didn't get the impression that you were leveling insults at all people that like to party or making self-righteous generalizations about them in the way that she was. I immediately regretted addressing it to both of you. At the same time though, as the last poster mentions, I'm not so sure that we can attribute the 'herd-mentality' motive to the OP without more information either.

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 09:37:21 AM »
everyone seems to want to know what the O.P. meant with this question, so i'll tell you.

i wanted to know how much i had to drink in order to fit in with everyone and how to be cool.  i'm very concerned with how everyone percieves me and i will drink as much as necessary in order to be considered one of the cool kids. 

actually it was probably more a question of free time and social events than trying to figure out how i could fit in and be cool.  i just know there seem to be a lot of social events with law schools at bars, etc.  i didnt know if these are like semi formal get togethers or if people kind of let loose at these events.  the etiquette might be different at every school, i dont know.  either way, some of the posts here, about getting loaded to be cool and fit in are just absurd.  some peoples mindsets make me laugh though.