Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how much drinking?  (Read 1229 times)

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
how much drinking?
« on: June 19, 2006, 03:22:49 PM »
so i hear that alot of law schools have thursday night happy hour events or some type of activity to release some of the stress of law school.  but how often do you guys drink?  do most law students take a day a week to get loaded and party?  or is it just every once in a while.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: how much drinking?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 05:32:23 PM »
LOL, I knew my anti-drunk comment would inflame someone, given the decrease in my reputation score.  What's the matter, can't handle the truth?

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 05:39:04 PM »
well i for one plan on drinking around three days a week. heavily at least 2 times a week
Attending: OU

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 06:35:18 PM »
Does it matter how much your classmates drink?  It's a personal choice.  If you want to get trashed 3+ nights a week, go ahead.  I rarely went out to bars and when I did, I drank in moderation.  Many others hit the bars 2-3 nights a week.  It's sad that adults who are intelligent enough to be in law school for some reason feel like they shoudl be doing what everyone else is doing.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 08:28:11 PM »
Very well said, Jacy.  Really, I thought this go-with-the-crowd mentality fizzled out in high school:  apparently, I was wrong.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 08:52:09 PM »
Maybe the goal of the poster wasn't to find out how to be like everyone else, but rather to discover the degree of drinking that was going to work for law school.  Perhaps the poster currently drinks 3 nights a week and just wants to know if this merry routine can continue or if it would be detrimental to his law school performance.

Anecdotally, none of the people on law review are big drinkers at all at my school.  (To my knowledge anyway).  Our editor could probably use a drink....

reverendlex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 09:09:58 PM »
I found my cohort to be a pretty hard drinking crew, or at least my friends were. By 2L, we calmed down a bit. I think it goes with the territory. Lots of the adjuncts that taught litigation related skills were friends of Bill W.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 09:39:06 PM »
Got trashed once or twice a month.

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 02:47:09 AM »
I drink as much now as I did in undergrad. We go out to bars 2 or 3 nights a week. We all did reasonably well too. Nobody is making law review, but Im over a 3 point so I can't say it hurt me too much.

Italian2L

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 05:42:55 AM »
The answer to the question of how often you can drink without it being detrimental I think entirely depends on how one handles hangovers. When I get trashed, the next day is completely worthless for me, and the fact is that during 1L you really can only completely waste 2 or 3 Saturdays or Sundays a month. If you can get hammered on Friday night, but still be cranking out the work by 2pm the next day, this will be entirely different. Personally, trying to read about personal jurisdiction when I'm hungover makes me vomit. In the end, I'd say I partied hard about 3 times a month during 1L and had a drink or two at dinner maybe 1 night a week. I probably averaged getting loaded 2 times a month during 2L and had 1 or 2 with dinner or before bed 3 times a week, but mostly just because I continued my relaxed 1L drinking habits without really thinking about it. I could have drank more had I wanted to.

...and for Jacy85 and unlvrjchick, why do you assume that law students only go out drinking a lot because they feel like they should be doing what everybody else does? Did it ever occur to you that some people actually enjoy going out and getting loaded? Also, why are people that drink when they want to release stress 'stupid?' It's funny, the word stupid comes to mind for me when I think about people who are self-righteous and feel the need to judge the intelligence of others based on personal choices that don't, at least in and of themselves, harm other people.