Law School Discussion

1L - Time for sports???

1L - Time for sports???
« on: June 16, 2006, 05:23:41 PM »
I know everyone says 1L is hell and you are busy non-stop.. however, I was thinking of joining the rowing team which would require about 2 hours practice in early mornings.... would this interfere with 1L?

Re: 1L - Time for sports???
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 08:06:38 PM »
2 hours every day?  Almost certainly.

You'll have some free time (more than some doomsayers suggest), but not that much.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 05:29:02 AM »
YOu really think you're going to want to get up at 5 am, work out, have class all day, and then come home and try to get all of your reading and legal writing work done?  EVERY DAY?

Won't happen.  Something will have to give.  YOu will have free time, and you can make time for things that are important to you.  But there are absolutely weeks that you feel like you don't have a minute to spare, and once finals roll around, you will inevitably either let your rowing team down when you won't make practice for at least 2 weeks, or you're going to let yourself down because you didn't put the time into law school that you should have.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 11:27:31 AM »
That bad, huh?

Crap.

njgal

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 12:49:58 PM »
i'm going to disagree. yes, it'll be tough but if it's really something you want to do, you'll find the time. plenty of people raise children, hold down jobs, and do lots of other things while attending law school, so why not row?

the downside is that the extra time may come out of your social life. you're probably not going to be able to go drinking every night, get up at 5 am to spend 2 hours rowing, AND keep up with your studies. you may have to make some sacrifices, but it can be done if you're committed.

i held down a full-time job, i have two kids, i had a long commute. i just graduated with honors. believe me, if i were you and had no spouse, no kids, no commute, no job, i could find two hours a day to row, if i really wanted to. it's all a matter of prioritization.

a lot of what you hear about spending every spare moment during 1L studying is bull, unless you go to a hypercompetitive school (e.g., low-ranked cooley type school), which i didn't. if that's the case, then i could be way off).

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 03:25:19 PM »
I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating spending every spare moment studying.  I certainly didn't mean to convey that message.  You can absolutely find time to do the things you care about.  BUT when you're on a *team* and it's not optional to be there every single day for at least 2 hours a day, there are just some times during 1L when that's not really possible.  Even if it is "possible," it may leave someone feeling more stressed out than they need to be.

When you have a team of people relying on you to be there every single day, then its not fair to anyone involved if you can't do it.  Unless the OP is willing to view his/her early a.m. committment as a family, then it might not be the best idea to commit to something like that.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 04:39:11 PM »
Absolutely- you can do this if it's a priority. But, you'll have to make sure you are getting enough sleep and study time and expect to need to be free from these commitments at midterms and finals.  The exercise is probably a great stress buster.  I have a friend who played rugby through school and I took up a serious running habit. 

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 06:17:45 PM »
Well I don't know how this will all work out... One good thing, the regatta schedule is posted mid-summer I think they said, so I should at least have some idea of how the major events fall in line with the competitions...

As far as practice, I believe they go to the lake twice a week and the rest of the time is spent in the gym lifting freeweights or using the ergo... so I could probably swap those times around so it didn't have to coincide with the "team".

Primarily the competitions... they leave on Friday evenings, compete Sat morn, and back by Sat evening... I think.

Thus leaving Sun on the weekends of competitions for studying...

Does that shed any light on the time requirements?