Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HOUSING?  (Read 3137 times)

dustin44anderson

• View Profile
    • Email
HOUSING?
« on: June 16, 2006, 01:24:12 PM »
I don't know anything about Syracuse.  I want to leave my car at home (California). Is it possible to not have a car in Syracuse?  Where are the best places to live around campus.  I dont mind paying for higher rent. Thanks for the help.

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HOUSING?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 05:39:51 PM »
From what I've heard and seen, the area immediately around campus is not as nice as a bit farther away. I will be living at Nob Hill, which I think will be a nice place to live. It seemed well-maintained and in a decent location. As far as on-campus housing goes, I think that Slocum Heights is already filled.

When I was looking for an apartment I also drove by Rugby Square and Grant Village and didn't like the location of either of those. Nob Hill is only a few exits off the highway, so I don't think the traffic will be so bad. I have heard that Teall Ave can be a major pain in the mornings.

There is an old thread on this board that discusses housing, maybe that would be more helpful. :)

mizzmj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 02:31:48 AM »
I wont be having a car either. I'll be staying at Slocum Heights, but like laurrk already said, they are already filled to capacity. For people who live on Campus, I hear that not having a car wont necessarily cripple you (as the university has shuttles and bus service that runs to all of the local malls, shopping locations, et cetera). I know that you were inquiring about housing off of campus, so my post probably didnt help you.  ;D Good luck, though.

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 02:44:44 PM »
Unless you really enjoy the cold weather bring your car.  I cannot stress this enough.  Even those at slocum, although not crippled, have to stand at the bus stop in the snow.  Its definately doable, some of my friends did it last year. Other than slocum, unless you get one of the few places right next to school, you will need a car.  Especially from california, thats where I am from.  What part are you from?  Anyway, anymore questions I will be more then happy to answer.

dustin44anderson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 09:22:29 AM »
I am from Cupertino(suburb of San Jose), but I went to school in Santa Barbara, then Transfered to a small school in North Carolina.  Now I work in NYC, so it would be easiest to just move my stuff up North, but after visiting Syracuse last week, I very quickly realized the area is not friendly to people without a car.  I will probably fly home and take a nice drive across the country or have it shipped to me.

Thank you for the help.  I think I want to get a place really close to campus.  I know the places are not going to be as nice, but it will be convenient for gym use and I wont waste time driving to and from campus.

Very excited to be there in a few months.