Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: We're so prestigious  (Read 4561 times)

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: We're so prestigious
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 06:33:48 PM »
If I knew what all the jibberish meant, I would be either jealous or very very sad that I knew what that jibberish meant.

Just giving yall a hard time - carry on, and good luck at UT.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »
:D uh oh, it looks like under that suave and jovial exterior Deuces really is a nerd!

He's obviously a computer nerd at that, who spends too much time playing video games.  Let us ostracize him quickly.  :)

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 02:04:25 PM »
"Those who live in glass houses..."

Mine's actually brick, red brick all the way around.  I do have a few windows, though.  I just dislike the look of the siding, wood, and faux wood exteriors.  Do you know how difficult it is to find one with brick all the way around?  Most people get cheap and have the backside done over in the faux wood masonry stuff.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 01:54:10 PM »
You won't be alone up there for long Margee.  Deuces isn't that far behing you.

hornian

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 02:35:38 PM »
You won't be alone up there for long Margee.  Deuces isn't that far behing you.

scary, and surprisingly true.  I had no idea.

And to think I'm getting paid to do this...
I think most of us are getting paid to do this. I wonder how many who post regularly on here are not currently gainfully employed.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 02:53:09 PM »
We just stick PID loops on everything and fiddle with the numbers.  Are you trying to say there's more to control loops than that?  :)

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

Knowing about the stuff alone tends to be nerdy.  Truly understanding the stuff helps you differentiate yourself as super nerdy.  I'm at the point where I just know about the stuff.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 03:47:06 PM »
and in what part of life (please be a little specific) does that knowledge become relevant/applicable?

EDIT:  nm.  I just finished the article, and I get it now.

For those who didn't read the article, let's make it really basic.  You get in your car and you want to go 50MPH.  From a standstill you mash down on the pedal so you can get to 50MPH quickly.  If you go over 50MPH, you let up on the pedal.

From there, its the details that are important.  In some systems you don't really mash down on the gas, because the engine will overheat.  In some systems you let up on the gas before you get to 50MPH, because you'll be ticketed for going over the speed limit.  In some systems.  So you have a bunch of little variable you can play with to adjust the curve.

It is often used for systems where you're trying to hit a target number, such as cruise control, or oven temperature control.

It sounds like Tony is looking into stuff that is even more complex, since it is predictive.  In this case, his car has a camera on the front end and realizes it is about to go uphill, so starts giving it a bit more gas.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »
kinda like predictive loops in computer programming.  I get it now, just hadn't heard that terminology.  cool stuff, though I think I'll stick with emotively persuading laypersons as a profession.  ;)

Throwing a bunch of complicated jargon at someone till they think you're an expert and bend to your will isn't part of your plan?  :)  I thought that was something invaluable to every lawyer.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 04:59:41 PM »
Most Time Online
jeffjoe  14d 12h 32m
J D  5d 35m
4DClaw  4d 17h 8m
mp  4d 10h 6m
Legalise  4d 1h 28m
zemog  3d 14h 41m
LawGirl  3d 10h 1m
tonyp  3d 7h 55m
Coregram  3d 2h 43m
Jumboshrimps  3d 1h 24m

So has anyone else noticed that tonyp has made it to the list of the ultimate lurkers?